One step closer to regretting my decisions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Haha.

Big blocks mean big money, more torque before 4k rpm's than their little brothers make at 6500, more bragging rights, and.................

more envy from us non big block people.

Someday before I leave this old crappy planet I want to build a stout 496ish aluminum headed Chev and make 1500hp with 12 psi of boost with two giant melon sized turbos on each side that will remind you of Dolly Parton when the hood gets opened. Mild compression 10-11:1 with a mid range cam and run it on E.

Sooner is better than later. You could die in a car crash today.

We Need To Leave Lets Go GIF by Nickelodeon

Old ElCo Dude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2020
The first generation dimple rods used 3/8th bolts so on a street motor they really aren't that much of a liability. And a cast crank on a 2 bolt block will live to well over 500 HP so you should be set with that motor.While the engine is out take a peak into the spark plug holes to see if it's got flat top pistons in it.
Also while its out,on the back of the block on the drs. side rear ledge record the engines casting # and date code as some 454's are better than others.Under the valve covers in the middle of the heads will be the cylinder head #'s and the date code nearby.Those heads were used on the 350 & 360 HP motors so they flow pretty good as stock plus those old 702's will add compression to a flat top 454.And if you ever replace the heads those 702's may be worth something to someone doing a 66-67 Chevelle.
That will be a great project for you but good luck finding traction with it.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I have Crane Golds on my 498 BBC. I used a 1/2 inch spacer under the stock valve covers with no issues with rockers touching the valve covers. Also, this setup cleared the A/C box. I can still remove the valve covers with no problem.
Thanks those are the valve covers I have. So Ill look into the spacers.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The first generation dimple rods used 3/8th bolts so on a street motor they really aren't that much of a liability. And a cast crank on a 2 bolt block will live to well over 500 HP so you should be set with that motor.While the engine is out take a peak into the spark plug holes to see if it's got flat top pistons in it.
Also while its out,on the back of the block on the drs. side rear ledge record the engines casting # and date code as some 454's are better than others.Under the valve covers in the middle of the heads will be the cylinder head #'s and the date code nearby.Those heads were used on the 350 & 360 HP motors so they flow pretty good as stock plus those old 702's will add compression to a flat top 454.And if you ever replace the heads those 702's may be worth something to someone doing a 66-67 Chevelle.
That will be a great project for you but good luck finding traction with it.
I don't really know whats in it. It appears to be a mixture of stuff, so nothing original to any numbers. From what I have seen its a 289 block, 702 heads, small dome piston so probably 10 something to 1, a solid roller cam of guessing high .500's lift. Its got the cast crank from what I can see on a parting line outside the engine. I thought about the scarcity of the 702 heads, but I don't really want to put any more money into this engine if I don't have to. It runs ok, and would be just fine as it is in the Malibu.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor