Pontiac- busted hand brake release

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1983 Bonneville. I went to release the hand brake and the plastic on the dash [?] that it sits in- broke away. I was able to grab the body and pull the handle so I got the brake released. I was too busy, and pissed, to look at it. What is that part? The dash? Or the bezel? I have another bezel, but not a dash. Maybe a plastic or metal plate can be fastened in that spot. Any ideas?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd make a metal plate set up that would sandwich the spot. Was going to do something like that with the last dash in my Monte before it's too long redo.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think that makes the most sense. But what is that spot on? The dash itself? I hope the dash doesn't have to come off to do that. I could not really see under there that low.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Look on page 16 of my wagon build. I had the same issue. The hole caved in when I tried to put the handle in.
I used a piece of grained plastic that I bought off of ebay. Carefully cut and filed the hole to shape and put it over the dash like a bezel. Marine epoxy and two button head screws. Not prefect but it works and with the piece painted to match the dash you can hardly notice the repair.

img_1561-jpg.85420

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Maybe this might help,
Yes, that shows it perfectly. I also see all the divisions used the same part in the same spot, with minor variations of the dash shape. Good ol' GM one-size-fits-all mentality. Mikester that is a great repair job. Was the dash off or still in place? I think I have some very thin aluminum sheet leftover from a boat project.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Yes, that shows it perfectly. I also see all the divisions used the same part in the same spot, with minor variations of the dash shape. Good ol' GM one-size-fits-all mentality. Mikester that is a great repair job. Was the dash off or still in place? I think I have some very thin aluminum sheet leftover from a boat project.
To be honest I dont remember if I pulled the dash or not. It was a while ago. I do remember I had to use the epoxy on the bottom because the back had something in the way. Couldnt use small screws. Maybe a metal brace or something that was part of the dash frame. The more I think about it I think the dash might have been in the car but the seat was out so I could get up under there. I wish I had more info but like I said its been quite a while since I did it.
Needless to say I was pretty pissed that the hole collapsed just from pushing the handle in.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Needless to say I was pretty pissed that the hole collapsed just from pushing the handle in.
That's where I am right now. I have a power seat base so removing it is a chore. All I can do is move it as far back as possible. I stuck my head up under there as far as I could but I can't see much without removing things. I am going to have to move one project out of the way so I can have room to work. This just one more instance where having too many vehicles bites you. But thanks to you guys I see what needs to be done. Thanks!!!!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
That's where I am right now. I have a power seat base so removing it is a chore. All I can do is move it as far back as possible. I stuck my head up under there as far as I could but I can't see much without removing things. I am going to have to move one project out of the way so I can have room to work. This just one more instance where having too many vehicles bites you. But thanks to you guys I see what needs to be done. Thanks!!!!
Remember, if working on cars like this was easy everyone would own one. LOL

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had to wait until I dragged the Whaler home for winterizing. Now I have room and time to work and the weather was great today. I cut a sheet of aluminum plate to fit that spot, then ground out the hole where the release sits. A combination of sheet metal screws and epoxy secured the aluminum plate to the spot on the dash where it broke off. The release handle pulls out OK, now to wait for it all to harden up. A bit crude, but the knee bolster will hide the ugliness. I can't believe how I still apply the brake out of sheer habit, even knowing the darn thing was busted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMG_0727.JPG

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor