Power brake booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truckedup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2008
The power brake booster in my 81 El Camino needs replacement.There's seems to be two models,a single booster and a tandem booster.How do you tell the difference? The one in my car,it's looks original,is 8 inches in diameter and about 5-1/2 inches thick.
And is there an advantage to using one or the other if they are interchangable? Thanks

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Bump

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Me either, was one vacuum assist like some other GM's?

Lue

G-Body Guru
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles, california
Could it be that they made two kinds of booster one for V6 and the other for a V8? I'm not trying to high jack the thread, just thinking of what if.

busdriver

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2008
Florida
I believe that the dual diaphragm is smaller in diameter and a bit thicker front to back than the single diaphragm. The dual may give you a bit more valve cover room but I don't think there was much of a performance difference.

I have master w/booster set up in the garage that came off my 84 Cutlass, I went to a manual set-up, if your interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor