Power Steering Pump HELP

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
I bought a 79 Malibu . It seems to be pretty original. It has power steering and air conditioning. I drove it a few hundred miles to check it out, then took it apart. It now has a 355 SBC with Vortec heads and FAST EFI injection system. While re-assembling it, I noticed the power steering pump had a damaged shaft, so I ordered what seemed to be the correct one, but it didn't even bolt to the bracket because it was clocked wrong. And of course you cannot re-clock a pump. The always-accurate Google didn't find a pump that looked like my old one, but did offer a different bracket. I have to believe someone sells the correct pump. Below are some pictures. The first is the original bracket on the car. The second is a bracket that the seller said would work. The third is the two pumps side by side, with the one that fits on top. Note how the bottom one is clockeddifferent.

Any advice?
Thanks
Larry PSP Bracket on car.JPG PSP Bracket for sale.jpg Pump Compare.JPG

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Long water pump or short? Can you put your hand between the water pump and the timing chain cover or does the water pump sit just above the timing chain cover?

Does it have one or two mounting studs on the back?

Is the original pump shaft threaded on the end?

More pictures would help front side and back.

Without more info I can't be sure but you might look at an 85 camaro pump.
Cardone 207831-top.jpg

Last edited:

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
You are right. I should have posted more. I will take pics and post them, but I can tell you that it is all original 1979 Malibu parts. It is long water pump, with the internal threads for the press fit install tool. Your pic looks right. Again, the pump on the car is almost certainly original, but maybe they kept using it. The shaft on the original is about an inch longer than the replacement I bought, but all the original belts lined up perfectly. While browsing this forum this morning, I found a pic posted several years ago showing exactly my setup. It had the same AC brackets, the same PS brackets and pulley, and as much as I could see around the pulley, the right pump. So I know I am not crazy (at least in that regard).

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
One thing I found out a few years back is there is a bad habit massing in what it fits with what doesn't fit. Got a reman for my '81 with reservoir that had the incorrect reservoir. All the "correct" ones had the same wrong one. I was lucky to have a spare one to swap out. If you didn't core out the original reuse the reservoir if not hunt down another '78-'79 unit. The pumps themselves do seem to be correct.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
What was the original engine? I've dealt with this before doing resto-mod...

At first blush looks like you have wrong bracket, but just doing from memory.

What you have is just a basic simple Saginaw PS pump.

Chevy, Ford, AMC and even some Dodge used them. Just have to get you the right one and the right bracket(s).

On the restos I was doing a few years back; I like the 88 to 95 truck, and pull everything off. This way you have a full serpentine single belt system and the better Delco 105 Amp Alternator.

As far as reclocking... Yes you can but what you are really doing is changing the reservoir tank. You can actually go remote reservoir if so inclined.

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
What was the original engine? I've dealt with this before doing resto-mod...

At first blush looks like you have wrong bracket, but just doing from memory.

What you have is just a basic simple Saginaw PS pump.

Chevy, Ford, AMC and even some Dodge used them. Just have to get you the right one and the right bracket(s).

On the restos I was doing a few years back; I like the 88 to 95 truck, and pull everything off. This way you have a full serpentine single belt system and the better Delco 105 Amp Alternator.

As far as reclocking... Yes you can but what you are really doing is changing the reservoir tank. You can actually go remote reservoir if so inclined.
Pagrunt; The tank is correct. It is the pump body that is clocked wrong.
78Delta88; My car was unmolested, and had a pump that fit, so I am sure the brackets are correct.

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
Pagrunt; The tank is correct. It is the pump body that is clocked wrong.
78Delta88; My car was unmolested, and had a pump that fit, so I am sure the brackets are correct.
UPDATE!:
I got a message from another source that suggested I see if LARES can find a replacement shaft. I called them, and they can get a shaft and rebuild my pump. And they are within driving distance of my house.
Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
Larry

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor