Power Tail Gate - Weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
I added the power tail gate option to my wagon, wired/hooked up just like the factory did using it from a donor 82' Malibu wagon. The solenoid clicks and most times will pop the glass open, but never the tail gate itself. Sometimes not enough oomph to get the glass. Is this common? I have 1-2 more wagon tailgate solenoids, I could test them out I suppose but thought I'd first see what others who have this option or added it have noticed. I'm ok living without the actual tail gate opening, the glass popping open is helpful enough especially since I added a RKE system from a late 90's Monte Carlo for the power locks and tail gate.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
It's a glass popper only

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have also added the tailgate solenoid. It only pops the glass hatch, and sometimes it takes a few clicks to unlatch it. I added a relay to help give it some oomph. It won't lift the glass per se.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Same on my century. It unlocks the glass after a few clicks but it i have to manually lift the window for it to open.

• Agree

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks guys. For some reason I thought it might be strong enough to pop both, somehow, suppose that might not even be possible since it takes different directions to open each. I just wasn't sure if it was my own issue of it not working all of the time but it sounds fairly common. Better than nothing though I suppose.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks guys. For some reason I thought it might be strong enough to pop both, somehow, suppose that might not even be possible since it takes different directions to open each. I just wasn't sure if it was my own issue of it not working all of the time but it sounds fairly common. Better than nothing though I suppose.
Yeah, the only function is to unlatch the glass. Once the glass is popped or unlatched, you manually have to unlock and open the tailgate.
Mine seems to work better when the engine is running rather than just the key being on. But, like I said earlier, I added a relay hoping it would help it somewhat. I think it actually does.
I'm wondering if the solenoid loses efficiency over time. I noticed the trunk release on my Olds Ciera works nice and strong.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I'm not a wagon owner, but, I responded to a thread where someone asked about sticking locks, my suggestion was to get a can of spray graphite to lubricate the lock and latching mechanisms. Once you do that, you should be good for several months. Being that the spray is a liquid, you will want to have a rag on hand to wipe off the excess.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Same on my century. It unlocks the glass after a few clicks but it i have to manually lift the window for it to open.
Time for new lift cylinders

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Time for new lift cylinders
They don't seem to last that long, do they? I've lost count of how many I've replaced over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor