Quarter Stick/Quarter Stick 2 in Stock Cutlass Console?

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Does anyone have any pictures of the Hurst Quarter Sticks in the stock console? I have seen a picture of what seemed to be one several years ago, but can't find it. I would like to install a Hurst shifter that fits using the stock shifter plate, since it is an 87 442. It still has the original 2004R KZF trans.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
The Buick guys including myself used to do this year's ago. Unfortunately, Hurst discontinued the Quarter Stick with the ball knob for the 4 speed automatics and only offers the one with the aluminum pistol grip.
To install requires cutting the console and the top plate. It also requires using their shifter cable which requires drilling another hole in the floor in order for it to route properly.
The other issue is that the back up lights run off the switch on the steering column which is driven by the linkage off of the transmission. You will either need to fabrication a new connection for the linkage or abandon it and add neutral safety and back up light switches at the shifter.
It's a lot of work and the modifications to the console are not reversible so think carefully before proceeding.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
The Buick guys including myself used to do this year's ago. Unfortunately, Hurst discontinued the Quarter Stick with the ball knob for the 4 speed automatics and only offers the one with the aluminum pistol grip.
To install requires cutting the console and the top plate. It also requires using their shifter cable which requires drilling another hole in the floor in order for it to route properly.
The other issue is that the back up lights run off the switch on the steering column which is driven by the linkage off of the transmission. You will either need to fabrication a new connection for the linkage or abandon it and add neutral safety and back up light switches at the shifter.
It's a lot of work and the modifications to the console are not reversible so think carefully before proceeding.
To add an example to this^
Your console will basically look like this with the correct modifications:
036BA15D-9851-4FDB-B762-D4FA5796F91F.jpeg

D355A5C2-25C8-43CF-AF52-EB583411BC50.jpeg

088D4552-17F1-489A-A32E-AFA5CA2F0327.jpeg

Now this is a Regal console, but the idea’s the same. If you want to go back to stock, you’re buying another console base.

Reactions: 1 users

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Ok, I could probably fabricate the linkage needed (seem to remember seeing an article on how to fix the linkage a few years ago), but I don't want to cut up the console. Nor do I want to cut up the plate. If I could find a Hurst Promatic 2 for the 4 speed, or a DualGate that wouldn't break the bank, that would fit just fine. They are nearly impossible to find, however.

What other Hurst shifter would work?

Thanks,

Jim

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Ok, I could probably fabricate the linkage needed (seem to remember seeing an article on how to fix the linkage a few years ago), but I don't want to cut up the console. Nor do I want to cut up the plate. If I could find a Hurst Promatic 2 for the 4 speed, or a DualGate that wouldn't break the bank, that would fit just fine. They are nearly impossible to find, however.

What other Hurst shifter would work?

Thanks,

Jim
Anyone know where one could find a Promatic 2 for the 4 speed 2004R? The Hurst part number was 383-8504. Lots of 3 speeds out there, but can't find the 4 speed version anymore.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor