Quirk??

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Has anyone else noticed how the left quarter panel doesn't line up with the tailgate on '78-'87 Caminos?? The quarter seems to high, while the right side seems fine. Any thoughts?? I have owned two El Caminos thta had this problem now, and seen this on a few others.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Possible. But it seems too consistant to be to be something like that, but who knows. Looks to me like a flaw from GM. Maybe.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
383Camino said:
Has anyone else noticed how the left quarter panel doesn't line up with the tailgate on '78-'87 Caminos?? The quarter seems to high, while the right side seems fine. Any thoughts?? I have owned two El Caminos thta had this problem now, and seen this on a few others.
My elco has the same issue. I'm not sure its as bad. But my tailgate sticks just slightly due to the misalignment of the fender. Its not a big deal and hardly noticable but I agree with you about it being a factory quirk. You have to take into consideration that GM built them in Mexico.

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
some were made in canada too though. Maybe it has to do with the pressure from the steering pump and pressure on the one side with minimal support. Good eye though i never really noticed it.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
ryanwitski said:
some were made in canada too though
True! I forgot about that! When I think of Canadian production I think of Ford for the most part. But you have a good idea.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
my gate works fine; I guess what I mean is the trim on the top of the quarter (bedside) and tailgate do not align. The trim on the quarter in higher. :(

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Sorry about the confusion, I'll have to go and take a second look. Mabey I was mistaken :?

Derpinguin44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 9, 2006
I had the same problem, though it was fixed when I got it painted. The trim was adjusted and it looks fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor