Remove sticky black sealant from window tint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Does anyone know how to remove the evil sticky black window / trim sealant from window tint ?
I mean without destroying the tint .
Pulled the quarter windows and got that black stuff everywhere , now it’s time to reinstall them but I want to clean them up first
Removing the tint and redoing it comes to mind but I’d rather save the bread if possible
Any help ?

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Try cooking oil and see if it liquefies the tar. If it does wipe off what you can and to get the last of it off use liquid dish soap on top of the vegetable oil to finish it off with hot water.

Edited to add detail.
Put the oil in a bowl you are willing to trash, stick your finger tips in the oil and gently rub it into the tar it should make it more liquid. Just keep doing i till it is all liquid. Wipe off what you can with a paper towel. Repeat till it is mostly gone.

One more time then rub the dish soap on top of what you have done and it should wash off with hot water.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
try WD-40, although I don't know if it would effect the tint.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Thank you all for the suggestions
I ended up using a wax and grease remover that the body shop had on hand , worked pretty well
Apparently that evil black sh.. stuff is no longer made
I’m not sure how I feel about that .
It was great water proofing product but it gets everywhere like acoustical caulking does
My windows are going back in with urethane which ,as I understand it , is pretty permanent .these windows can’t/won’t come back out again.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
If you make a ball of it, and sort of tack the rest off. It'll pick itself up. Think picking up playdoh. If we're talking about the flexible, tar-like butyl substance that's in the qtr windows.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Butyl tape is in fact still available/manufactured, just not commonly used on glass in automotive applications with a few exceptions (mostly bolt-in type quarter glasses).

The butyl used on Honda door watershields will ruin your day in a hurry

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
If you make a ball of it, and sort of tack the rest off. It'll pick itself up. Think picking up playdoh. If we're talking about the flexible, tar-like butyl substance that's in the qtr windows.
That’s about how I got most of it off
rubber gloves really helped as the butile stuck to the gloves
Took 4 pair gloves I think
Then used the wax grease remover to clean it up so glass guy didn’t soil his hands lol

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor