CUTLASS Removing a Glove Box Lock?

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Hello all, has anyone ever swapped locks for their glove boxes? I have a nicer glove box than my original and I want to swap the locks so I can stay with two keys for the car. I took the two screws out from the inside of the latch / lock but the chrome knob comes with it. How do I remove the chrome knob? Any help is appreciated! 🙏

IMG_5789.jpegIMG_5788.jpeg

When I swapped out the pockect from A/C to non A/C I had to have the key in the lock & I thought I had to use a paper clip to depress something on the latch side to release it. I looked in my '81 Fisher manual but can't find the details.

Reactions: 383_StealthRam
Not trying to hijack the thread...but how do you remove the glove box? I am in need to do so and have not even looked at it or the process yet. Pretty straight forward?

Think it is.
Key in.
Behind the knob look down to the lock cylinder housing for a hole (think it is either at the top or the bottom), use a pick or wire to push the button that is down in the hole.
Knob and lock cylinder should be easily be pulled out.

Not trying to hijack the thread...but how do you remove the glove box? I am in need to do so and have not even looked at it or the process yet. Pretty straight forward?
Open the glovebox part way. See the "hook", or the stop clip in the drawing above (#8). You will need to press the stop clip toward the glovebox to clear the edge of the IP opening so you can swing the glovebox out the rest of the way. The glovebox then opens fully. Then you can access the glovebox hinge screws. Make sure it's empty first or the contents will go on the floor.

If you have the later G-body lock piece that mounts with 2 screws in the back, you really need the key to make it super easy to remove the lock assembly. Watch the video below and you'll see for yourself. If the slot is vertical, it's locked. If horizontal, it's unlocked.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor