Removing Hydros from old school Ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.

360x

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2009
Has anybody ever taken on the task of removing Hyros (Basic 2 pump/10 battery setup) from a old school Impala (64-68) or any car for that matter? I'm considering taking one of my rides back to stock. How hard would it be? How much work?

I was under the impression that you had to cutt the shock mounts out to get bags in there. Soo for starters you'd have to replace the mounts and assembly up front.

Have fun

DelOhio said:
I was under the impression that you had to cutt the shock mounts out to get bags in there. Soo for starters you'd have to replace the mounts and assembly up front.

Have fun

Does that require welding? From the looks of things it does. I'm not talking about bags really but more of the coil/spring/cylinder style setup.

Pulling the setup out is pretty simple, depending on how well it was installed there maybe some cutting required to remove the battery rack and cylinder mounts and some of the other things that should have been welded in. You should just be able to pull the hoses and wiring out once you cut all the zip ties or whatever they used to hold it onto the car.

The front upper shock mounts are cut out with a hole saw and the rear spring pockets are also cut with a hole saw so those will need about a 1 7/8" circle welded in there. the battery rack should be welded to the frame so the trunk floor will have to be repaired.

El Duez said:
The front upper shock mounts are cut out with a hole saw and the rear spring pockets are also cut with a hole saw so those will need about a 1 7/8" circle welded in there. the battery rack should be welded to the frame so the trunk floor will have to be repaired.

Yea. I'm pretty much just going to leave things as is until I can get a welder to repair the 4 spots that need new circle welding done. I don't mess with welding.... yet. I wouldn't trust myself to get suspension work correct. I just don't know how complicated it's going to be to reach/fix the spots. Does this has to be done with the car lifted? I assume the welding is done underneath the hole and not on top.

As for the trunk, I don't mind the rack. I could think of a million uses for it, all revolving around car audio. Then again, I would trust myself to remove that. I just don't feel pressured to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor