results from a junkyard crawl (literally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
So I call on this honolulu craigslist ad for a grandnational rear end $300, so I'm all over it, call it's still there just as an afterthought I ask if its still in the car, it is, then luckily I ask if they pull the parts or I do because in hawaii most places dont let you pull your own parts some kind of insurance deal I guess. So I round up a cousin my tools and drive to the other side of the island, I get there and its an old egg farm with two 100 yard egg barnes with all the equipment moved out and there were cars from 1930-2000's, and the national was at the 50yard mark, lets just say carrying my 3ton jack and tools in and out was real b*tch :evil: and the ground was still covered with that saw dust mulch they use at farms and it was soft, so jack didnt roll, the stands were sinking and sitting and sketchy angles and I was thinking while laying under the car I'm gonna pull on a bolt too hard and this cars gonna fall on me lol! we stuffed rims that we could find underneath but still acute paranoia the whole time. Well we got it out and I took the drive shaft (no need to shorten my wagons one now!) too, and the rear coils I scored everything for $360 😀 Oh yeah I spied the odometer on the way out if it didnt roll 49,000 miles on a 1987 grand national. The junkyard owner was cool and laid back on the way out we found out why, in the bushes around his yard hidden in tall grass was "happy" plants haha! Most interesting things I seen in there was 1930's coupe that someone turned into a mud bogger on a tubular ladder chassis, I thought no way it's gotta be glass walked up to gave it knock it was steel! And a really old mg sedan with beautiful curves that was complete. Here's a couple of picks of my find, I was surprised at how short the trans yoke on the shaft was compared to the one I pulled out of my cutty a while back and how light in comparison too. If I go back I'll ask if I can take some photo's but I dont know if he would be cool with that because of his "happy" plants! My wagon's gonna feel good with the bowtie overdrive 200r4 stage two, and the national rearend can't wait to get her done!

thanks,
wade

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Thats awesome man!! sh*t i would have just tried to get the whole car for a good price. Would have inquired about the "happy plants" as well...lol

Thanks guys.
Thats awesome man!! sh*t i would have just tried to get the whole car for a good price. Would have inquired about the "happy plants" as well...lol

The only thing missing from the car was the turbo piping, steering wheel, passenger side lower door panel, and the hydro-boost brake system the last one was a heart breaker I was wanting to pull that if it was there. Too bad I had limited funds, and limited space at my house or I would have definitely tried to make a deal 🙁 AS for the happy plants its been a while, there are guys that do better work when stoned, my cousin that I brought with me for example, his I.Q goes up dramatically. I on the other hand am totally the opposite and good for absolutely nothing and turn into smiling food processor like this :rofl: except with food in my mouth! and if I try to concentrate on something :wtf: that happens haha!

anyways I'm wanting to swap in s-10 wheel cylinders when the rear end is cleaned up and ready to go, any specific years that I have to stay between? Plans for the rear end include inspection to see if anything needs to be changed, cleaned, painted, poly ear bushings to match the rest of the poly on the wagon, and aluminum drums which I already have just have to have them inspected and cut. And new joints for the drive shaft.

thanks,
wade

Good score!

Hard to choke down the thought of a decent GN getting boned out instead of put back on the road, but at least it's parts are living on...

anyways I'm wanting to swap in s-10 wheel cylinders when the rear end is cleaned up and ready to go, any specific years that I have to stay between? Plans for the rear end include inspection to see if anything needs to be changed, cleaned, painted, poly ear bushings to match the rest of the poly on the wagon, and aluminum drums which I already have just have to have them inspected and cut. And new joints for the drive shaft

:bump: for the s10 wheel cylinder ?

thanks,
wade

19cutlass79 said:
anyways I'm wanting to swap in s-10 wheel cylinders when the rear end is cleaned up and ready to go, any specific years that I have to stay between?

:bump: for the s10 wheel cylinder ?

thanks,
wade
Just ask for wheel cylinders for an '84 S-10 with manual brakes. Other years will work, it's just less confusing for the counter help. I've done this twice with no issues but I already have front brake upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor