Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D's350GP

Apprentice
Aug 14, 2006
Does anybody use Royal Purple motor oil? I've heard it's the "best" oil you can put in your car(s), does that mean hp gains, longer engine life, or what?

Cutlassjim

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2006
Royal purple is a very nice synthetic oil, better be for the better part of $8 a quart. The term better is quite a broad statement but in oil less friction = better.

Along with less friction comes less heat equaling more durability of parts, less wear, more gas milage, more hp, more tq. It just makes your engine happier. :D

As with any newer oil, oil change intervals are longer, given you don't have massive blow-by, to easily 5000-7500 even 10k miles or whatever you feel safe with.

A friends dad uses Amsoil (Big $$$) in his 02 Ford turbo-diesel and changes his filter every 7500 miles and oil every 15000. Mind you that's 22ish quarts at some $10 a quart.

And it's been proven that synthetics are far superior to petrol based oils for "slickness". They even had a segment on one of the Powerblock shows on it. They gained something like 8hp on a 400hp engine from just an oil change.

But to stop ranting and answer your question I think all good synthetics (Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, Lucas) will give you similar results.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Don't forget WallyMart's store brand synthetic for $2 a quart (they don't run expensive magazine ads or sponsor a Nascar car)....I'm at 105000 miles on my 2000 Explorer.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Synthetic oil is awesome dont get me wrong... but it has its disadvantages. I work at a Ford dealership and people always want to run synthetic oils in their vehicles. Most of the time they see an ad on TV and think it has to be better. Bottom line is most engines if they aren't switched over to syntetic oil after their break-in period will have massive blow by, and cause leaks around the bottom end. If your motor has quite a bit of run time I deff. do not recommend switching over. As fas as synthetic oils lasting longer it all depends of the application. I'm a firm believer of synthetic oils in sealed environments, like Transmissions and Rearends. I personally think buying middle grade oil and shorting your changing intervals will give you the same effect. And a good oil filter makes all the difference too.

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Oil & filters in general

I agree with Chevyman85. If you want some eye opening info about your favorite oil filter, check this out:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

On the subject of oil, that's a can of worms. However, there's been a lot of debate on the subject on a Cadillac forum that I'm a member of. Our conclusion is that with older, hard-blocked, flat tappet engines like our Cadillacc 472/500/425, oil with zinc is the way to go. That would be Rotella, Delo-400, etc.

I've been using Rotella 10-40w in both my 68' DeVille & 76' Eldorado convertibles AND the wife's 85' NA 231ci Regal for years with great results. Along with AC Delco filters, cause I'm a C.S.O.B. @ $3.00 ea.

Here's a thread about oil on the forum: http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/index.php/topic,2077.0.html

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Hey theres nothing wrong with Delco filters. I run a PH-454 on my car. Its the short 350 filter that will clear my headers. Other than that I'm a big fan of Wix filters

76Eldo_convertFI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Delco filters are OK in my book

Chevyman85 said:
Hey theres nothing wrong with Delco filters. ....

I agree and that's why I use them. After reading that comparison, I'll NEVER use a Fram oil filter again. And for the cost of the Delco filter, it's worth it to change it every time I change the oil. :wink:

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I completly agree! I HATE Fram filters. I'll never run one of them on my car, and I dont let anyone else. They're garbage! Plus you dont save by buying a $2 oil filter! Good call on the Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor