Score of the day: 81-88 G-body Aluminium Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
Well, went to the junkyard goin to get 4bbl SBC intake manifold for my cousin's truck. And I decided to take a magnet to look for Aluminium Bumper Core since I purchased a set some eightupman. Been curious if I could find any at my local yard. Well we found a nice factory 4bbl SBC aluminium intake manifold in the gm truck section. And went to the GM Car section so I could look around. I found a set of Aluminium bumper cores and planed on pulling them next week. And didnt see to much else. So now we were get wondering around. And I wanted to look in the GM car section again to see if we could score maybe a aftermarket SBC intake manifold off a camaro or something. So we are wonder everywhere now. And I find a 84ish Cutlass away from the rest of them and I get my magnet and attempt to stick it to the hood and no stick. I couldnt believe it. And then I go stick the magnet to the bumper cores no stick. I about fainted. We pulled the hood in a quick. The only thing is, the hood has like 20 pop rivets hole in it. Where someone had a cowl on it. But thats ok. Now I wont feel bad to stick another on it. When I stick my 455 in the cutlass and need hood clearance.

So now I have to go back and pull 2 sets (front and rear bumper cores) And I found some 7 heads I might grab also.

Now I have a set Aluminium Front and Rear Bumper cores (preping to paint now), Aluminium Hood, and a set of Aluminium rear Brake drums (install already) for my cutlass. Next is a Aluminium Driveshaft. I havnt decided what Im goin to do for that.

And this is kinda goin against what I was goin for (weigh saving) but my cousin gave me a 3rd gen firebird spoiler. But I dont care I love the look of a spoiler on a G-body.

Anyone interested in the Aluminium Bumper Cores?

EDIT*** BTW He charged us $125 for the hood and the aluminium intake manifold. He quoted me $100 for the hood. And quoted $35-50 for the intake depending on condition. So I didnt think that was too bad for a overall price. Since the intake is in good condition just needs a washing

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
Some Pictures

Attachments

• Cutlass 04.jpg
    Cutlass 04.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 585
  • Cutlass 03.jpg
    Cutlass 03.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 562
  • Cutlass 02.jpg
    Cutlass 02.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 578

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
A preview of the firebird spoiler

Attachments

• Cutlass 01.jpg
    Cutlass 01.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 542

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
Blake442 said:
Nice find!

It took me a few years before I was finally able to find one for my car...

Did you make sure to grab the hinges too?

Yeah, I did. The only thing I didnt get, cuz it was missing was the spring on the front of the hood. Which isnt a big deal to me. But someone told me it is a different tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor