Shorty Headers in SS Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

watchdog

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Hey folks Happy Thanksgiving. What shorty headers is everyone using? I have a basic setup, , and 85 Ss Monte, 350/200-4r trans. Im going to get ceramic coated, but just want to make sure I get a set that dont interfere with anything. Thanks!

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I used the Hedman shorties for a G-Monte in my 86 Cutty with a sbc 350 tpi and had no problems.

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
I used shorties in my 88 Monte when I had it. Hookers designed for the car fit quite well but in all honesty the only reason I used them was cause I thought longtube were gonna hit my trans linkage. Then I saw like a bagillion pictures of cars with longtubes and plenty of clearance and was disappointed with my decision...

If you go with longtubes theres MUCH less work running the rest of the exhaust as far as bends etc goes.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
stomis said:
If you go with longtubes theres MUCH less work running the rest of the exhaust as far as bends etc goes.

There is only one extra bend. The 25 or 30 degree bend from the mid-pipe to the collector.

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
If you have a stock SS design exhaust (single cat, into Y pipe, into duel mufflers/tailpipes), Edelbrock TES headers are a direct bolt on. (w/ stock style oil pan). These are also emissions legal. have a set for sale if interested.

watchdog

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Thanks for the replies. Im going with the shortys cause I dropped the front of the car 2 inches and will probably beat up my long tubes. I have a brand new set of Flowtech headers on it that have never been run. I put them on last year during this resto, and just decided to drop the front end a month or so ago, so I took them off. Motor hasnt been fired since I started this, so I have a brand new set of flowtech long tubes if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know the difference between these 3 sets of shortys? Theyre all the same price, and seem the same spec-wise.

Thanks!

On the summit web site :
BIG-31102FLT
BIG-31116FLT
BIG-31108FLT

85streetss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 31, 2010
i used the hooker shortys on my monte. they fit good but the drivers side collector is very close (touching) the brake proportioning valve on the frame. i wrapped the collector and clearenced it.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
I have hedman shorties and very pleased with them ...

no more ground rubbing issues because of sub frame clearance ....lost maybe 5 hp over long tubes ,so what !

id rather keep my tubes all round then bend the bottom ones flat ( on long tubes ) .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor