shorty headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

STONEYH

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2005
Grove City Ohio
I have noticed that summit has shorty headers listed for g body cars. Has anyone ever tried them ? It would seem they would be easier to install.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I bet they are easier to install, and they wouldn't hang down and be seen. Plus they'd be up outta the way. I have long tubes.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Unfortunately, shorty headers sort of defeat the whole purpose of installing headers in the first place. You get the most power boost by tuning the length and diameter of the header pipes to match the engine and intended driving. Longer pipes boost low end, shorter pipes boost top end. If you plan to do only WOT driving, get the shorty headers. If you want improved torque and HP in the RPM ranges that you really drive, get real equal length headers.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
joe_padavano said:
Unfortunately, shorty headers sort of defeat the whole purpose of installing headers in the first place. You get the most power boost by tuning the length and diameter of the header pipes to match the engine and intended driving. Longer pipes boost low end, shorter pipes boost top end. If you plan to do only WOT driving, get the shorty headers. If you want improved torque and HP in the RPM ranges that you really drive, get real equal length headers.

So from what your saying, It would be best for me to use shorty headers, since I got a TPI and 5 speed. I have no shortage of torq but as everybody knows the TPI's drop off on the top end.

Anybody got some shorty's for sale? lol

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
The only downside to full lenght headers is clearance both from the ground and in the engine bay. They fit really close on the pass. side. Not to mention getting spark plugs out.

thor4sur

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2007
P.C. Fl.
I've got Hedman shorties on my 79 Malibu that I got from summit . Dont belive everything they say about fitting . The power steering braket had to be modified and the pipe still hits the shift arm (automatic colum shift ).
Good luck with it !

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i have a set of edelbrock shorty headers for will be getting rid of that i had on my sbc 350 in my 80 buick regal. they are even wrapped, let me know if you want to purchase them

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor