SLOOOOW LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2010
ok im new to the forum but i just noticed that upon lower inspection of my 78 monte carlo that i have a slow drip coming from my front main seal (well thats where it seems to be coming from ive seen it drip with my own eyes) i just wanted to know if it is something i should worry about because it doesnt leak all the time and with the temperature always varying in the northwestern area ive heard that guys get a lot of phantom leaks...i can change it in about 4 hours and 100 bucks in parts but i was looking at a set of lomg tubes to run to my duals or should i wait and get this taken care of? is this a potential disaster? lol somebody give me some insight pleease and thank you....

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pho ... 0503945011

#1) keep an eye on the oil level constantly...

#2) it's only going to get worse...

#3) headers will be pretty quiet on a dead engine...

#4) see where I'm going with this?

if you can get an idea on how much oil you are losing, you can gauge on how soon you need to change the seal... I've seen oil seepage go 50k miles without getting worse, and I've seen a 7k engine blow cause a defective seal....

your call..... HTH

Darin

Well I would buy a new fel-pro one peice oil pan gasket, and new gasket for you timing cover. don't know how many mile you have on this motor but i would replace the water pump since you have it off too IMO. but just monitor the leak and see what your consumption rate is. but if you have a noticable puddle then you need to fix it. if its just a few drops here and there then you'll be ok. also check to make sure that you didn't overfill it with oil also.

I would hope he was talking about buying a new water pump, timing chain and all necessary gaskets and seal, when he said $100 in parts :?

I would take care of the leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor