speedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
firedowg said:
I just change gears in my 84 cutlass from 2:41 to 3:42 now the speedo is off. How would i correct it?

You need to change the drive and/or driven speedo gears within the transmission to match the new rear end ratio:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/speedo1.html

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
i just put in 3.42 gears too but have not driven it yet. How bad is it off?

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Its going to be WAY off! I went from 2.41 to 3.73's and it registered 60MPH at about 40! It'll be a huge difference! Have some buddy pace you and then you can go off of your tach, I did that for awhile till I got the Speedo calibrated. :?

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
thanks! I have a 3.42 so hopefully it won't be that bad, it 5mph fast anyway. If it needs calabrated exactly how do I do that again? Do I have to switch a gear in the speedo or somthing. thanks for the help!

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
You are going to be about 30% off; at an indicated 58mph you will actually be going about 45mph.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
ryanwitski said:
thanks! I have a 3.42 so hopefully it won't be that bad, it 5mph fast anyway. If it needs calabrated exactly how do I do that again? Do I have to switch a gear in the speedo or somthing. thanks for the help!
I believe you do. Or get an adjustable one, I had a local shop do it for about $40. I got tired of all the miles that were put on, lol cuz it thought I was going 80MPH, :lol:

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
yea I hate working on the dash area, I'll just get a shop to do it for me most likely.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor