Speedometer Question

Coltrane

Greasemonkey
Jul 6, 2020
Hey all, I currently have the stock 85mph speedo in my Monte. I won't be taking it over that, except at the track (hoping to trap around 115ish)...do I need to put a higher mph (I had a 140 in my last car) in? Just wondering if going faster than 85 for a bit will snap the needle off or not! Hahah.

The needle will hit a physical limit stop at some point or the hair spring will get tight enough to not allow any further needle movement. It's not physically connected to the cable anyway, so there's no risk of it twisting off. Here's a cutaway of a typical setup. The only thing that will happen when the needle stops is the magnet to drum slippage goes to 100%.

1726921183823.png

I guess GM, by design had dummies(customers) in mind knowing that at least a hand full were most likely going to push it past the speedometer's displayed speed.

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
I guess GM, by design had dummies(customers) in mind knowing that at least a hand full were most likely going to push it past the speedometer's displayed speed.
Almost all 60’s up have that style,probably early to. Have to remember that “55 saves lives” government and gas economy of the late 70’s through 80’s. All major highways were 55mph max and figured 85 was the most people would go.

Almost all 60’s up have that style,probably early to. Have to remember that “55 saves lives” government and gas economy of the late 70’s through 80’s. All major highways were 55mph max and figured 85 was the most people would go.
And 85 was the most some of those cars back then COULD go at best. Like the Aries K...

• Agree
Reactions: Ugly1
Some cars were even designed with going past 85 in mind, while still being in compliance with having no speed past 85 displayed on the speedometer.

00C0C_cnkfFxPKQ0Az_0CI0pO_1200x900-1080x720.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Ugly1

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor