Steering Column.. need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
Need to know if anyone can refer me to a site or give me a detailed "how to" on removing a steering column, want to transplant the tilt one out of my regal into my Monte before I junk the regal.. all help is apreciated.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Pulling a column is one of the easiest things to do...

0) disconnect your battery. You'll be messing around near the ignition switch and if you screw up you'll fry your fusible links (done it!)

1) pull the interior 'knee' panel under the steering wheel

2) there is a little 'disc' nut retainer holding the carpet/insulation to the firewall down at the bottom, pull that thing off

3) there are 4(?) bolts at the bottom plate, one of these you'll need a deep well as it's also the stud that retainer was on.

4) there are two bolts holding the column up to the dash. Loosen those until they're almost out, don't remove them yet.

5) disconnect the wiring from the column, you should have the ignition harness, the turn signal/etc. harness, the P safety switch, and if you've got a column shifter, the little wire that goes to the gear indicator. I think that's it.

6) under the hood, pull the plastic sleeve away from the steering box and loosen the screw connecting the column to the box. Pull the column away from the box, IIRC it should have enough travel to allow this. It might be tight but it will come off.

7) disconnect the backdrive linkage from the column to the transmission, one cotter pin should do it, it should be connected at a plastic bushing right outside the firewall

8 ) go back and drop those two big bolts. Don't forget to hold the thing up!

9) remove column from car, careful going through the firewall!

10) to install, just reverse. Improvise to taste.

Did I leave anything out?

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
GP403 said:
Pulling a column is one of the easiest things to do...

0) disconnect your battery. You'll be messing around near the ignition switch and if you screw up you'll fry your fusible links (done it!)

1) pull the interior 'knee' panel under the steering wheel

2) there is a little 'disc' nut retainer holding the carpet/insulation to the firewall down at the bottom, pull that thing off

3) there are 4(?) bolts at the bottom plate, one of these you'll need a deep well as it's also the stud that retainer was on.

4) there are two bolts holding the column up to the dash. Loosen those until they're almost out, don't remove them yet.

5) disconnect the wiring from the column, you should have the ignition harness, the turn signal/etc. harness, the P safety switch, and if you've got a column shifter, the little wire that goes to the gear indicator. I think that's it.

6) under the hood, pull the plastic sleeve away from the steering box and loosen the screw connecting the column to the box. Pull the column away from the box, IIRC it should have enough travel to allow this. It might be tight but it will come off.

7) disconnect the backdrive linkage from the column to the transmission, one cotter pin should do it, it should be connected at a plastic bushing right outside the firewall

8 ) go back and drop those two big bolts. Don't forget to hold the thing up!

9) remove column from car, careful going through the firewall!

10) to install, just reverse. Improvise to taste.

Did I leave anything out?
I truly apreciate the time you put in typing this what seems very detailed "how to" for me, I will be sure to post on my success and pics if possible.... thanks again

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If you're swapping the steering column from an '84 Regal to a '79 Monte, you MAY have a problem with the wiper switch, as the '79 Monte will have the wiper switch on the dash, and the '84 Regal will have the wiper switch on the turn signal lever. This may or may not be a problem, I'm not sure. Just trying to help.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
clean8485 said:
If you're swapping the steering column from an '84 Regal to a '79 Monte, you MAY have a problem with the wiper switch, as the '79 Monte will have the wiper switch on the dash, and the '84 Regal will have the wiper switch on the turn signal lever. This may or may not be a problem, I'm not sure. Just trying to help.
thanks didnt even think about that, will see what can be done.

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
dont know regal columns..

you could just switch the elky turn signal switch to the regal column. or just delete the dash mounted switch. shouldn't be a problem to have both as long as you dont hook both up.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
steering column swap

While it's out check the screws in the tilt mechanism, a real pain if they work loose later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor