steering column swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Probably not. While it will physically bolt in, there's a good chance that the wiring will be different since the '78-'81 cars have the wiper switch on the dash, and the '82-'88 cars have the wiper switch in the turn signal lever.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
Blake442 said:
Probably not. While it will physically bolt in, there's a good chance that the wiring will be different since the '78-'81 cars have the wiper switch on the dash, and the '82-'88 cars have the wiper switch in the turn signal lever.
Can he swap the electricals from the 78 to the 85 column?

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
The collapsable shaft that connects the steering column to the steering box is '78 specific. On my old '78 Regal, I swapped in a steering column from an '84 Monte Carlo, and had to get that shaft as well. Beyond that, it was plug and play- wiring included. The only differences will be if your car has cruise control, and if the wiper controls are on the signal stalk or on the dash.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
supercrackerbox said:
The collapsable shaft that connects the steering column to the steering box is '78 specific. On my old '78 Regal, I swapped in a steering column from an '84 Monte Carlo, and had to get that shaft as well. Beyond that, it was plug and play- wiring included. The only differences will be if your car has cruise control, and if the wiper controls are on the signal stalk or on the dash.

There is another difference beyond just the wiring. Starting in the early 1980s, GM did away with an electric neutral safety switch and instead used a mechanical interlock in the steering column between the lock cylinder and the electrical ignition switch.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
joe_padavano said:
There is another difference beyond just the wiring. Starting in the early 1980s, GM did away with an electric neutral safety switch and instead used a mechanical interlock in the steering column between the lock cylinder and the electrical ignition switch.

I thought all '78-'88 G-bodies featured the mechanical lock... :?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blake442 said:
joe_padavano said:

I thought all '78-'88 G-bodies featured the mechanical lock... :?

You may be right. I've never checked one of the early G-bodies. I'll have to look at my 78 CSM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor