steering coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
How is the steering coupler replaced? I have searched and found alot of talk about it but no procedure on how to change it. I have some excessive play and want to replace it.
Thanx for your reply's in advance! :wink:

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
84GP455 said:
How is the steering coupler replaced? I have searched and found alot of talk about it but no procedure on how to change it. I have some excessive play and want to replace it.
Thanx for your reply's in advance! :wink:

Just did mine while changing the steering gear box (the pitman shaft seals had failed).

You need to pull the intermediate shaft out of the car if it has never been done before. You then need to drill out the rivets until they are just a thing shell. Take a cold chisel and cut the fasteners ends off. The bolts should now drop out without a problem. Get a new 2 5/8 inch disk from the Help section of your auto parts store. You may need to go get some hardened bolts from the hardware store. Shouldered bolts are better, but the ones in the kit are not long enough I've found. I ended up tightening with lock nuts, and then double nutting. Now put it back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor