Steering shaft upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2009
SW Florida
Hi guys, I'm new to the site and need a little wisdom -- I've heard that you can put a grand cherokee steering box and shaft in a g body for better steering and better feel with the column -- any body ever heard of this. -- I'm running a 87 choo choo and have access to these parts. Thanks

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
I don't think the steering box will work but I just put the shaft in tonight. Took about 15 minutes and fit great. It use to have about a 1/4 turn of play at the steering wheel now has none! I would highly recommend this easy upgrade. :D I also have a manual steering box installed and like that too. :wink:

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
parts

what year exactly on a jeep grand cherokee? specific engine too or 2/4x4?

kartrac3r

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2008
Kearney, NE
There was a thread last week about this very subject that also had a link to a video for a how-to I'm sure if you searched the forums you may be able to find it

attngtr

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2008
Iowa
I think 93-98 Grand Cherokee. I got it off Ebay. It was all cleaned, painted and greased for less than $50 shipped.

bustedknuckles

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2008
Florrisant, Missouri
I got mine from the boxy style cherokee. One thing that will tell you if its the right one, is a 7/16 bolt at either coupling. The ones that wont fit are 13mm. I Have bolted it on my elky with a GN steering box but its still waiting for the new motor to go back in. These are very nice peices I paid 14$ for the steering shaft,console shifter for th350 and the front f41 package from a GP. Heck of a deal!

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Sweeettttt!!!!!!!!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
monte olrac said:
It's a regular box style jeep cherokee, not a grand cherokee they will not fit!

Some will if as a along as it has this end
0401091303a.jpg

and not this steering shaft end
0401091303b.jpg

I just did a that upgrade a while back. And if i remember correctly i have seen some Grand Cherokee's with the both shafts. But your most likely to find them in regular Cherokees. They are easy to find at most junkyards and cheap! I did mine and noticed a tighter feel, though the rag joint on mine was wasted. It looks nicer though! :lol: [/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor