Steering Wheel Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regalnomics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2007
I need help taking out my steering wheel column for an 85 Regal. Does anyone have instructions on how to take it out?

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
It is pretty Easy.
Under the hood:
1) There is a 1 bolt coupling in the engine compartment on the stering shaft. This slip joint connects the 2 pieces of the column. Remove the bolt
2) Disconnect the shift linkage from the column. (Looks like a rod coming off the steering column down to the transmission) (I think it is just a spring clip that you have to remove and it comes apart)

Inside the car:
1) At the firewall there is a flat semi-round sheild that is part of the column. It has 3-4 small screws going through the firewall. Remove those Screws.
2) Remove the dashboard trim under steering column. It is usually just a few 1/4 or 9/32 head screws.
3) Disconnect all of the wires that connect to the column under the dash. Probably 4-6 connectors.
4) Then there is a collar about 1/3 of the way from the Steering wheel to the fire wall. Probably about where the dash trim was. You will see 2 big bolts (maybe 18mm) that need to be removed. The Studs are basically pointing to the floor of the car. As you loosen the two bolts, the column will start to drop.
5) Support the Column while you finish taking the bolts out. Make sure you got all of the wires disconnected in step 3.
6) You should be able to pull the whole column out slowly. If it does not want to come out you may need to pry the slip joint under the hood a little with a screw driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor