StlRegal's 87 Regal Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
so I'm in mid engine swap. Actually quite close to being complete. Mainly wiring now. Anyways, instead of making a new thread on every topic I may need help on. I figured that I'd make a consolidated thread instead.

First order of business is where I'm mounting my gauges since this car only had idiot lights. The photo of the gauges is where I'd like to mount it.

Do I need to disassemble the dash to mount this to make sure I don't hit anything critical or can I just run the screws in?

Also what is the most logical and easiest way to to tie into a 12v power source? The ignition or maybe the fuse box?

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,743
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 245

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There is an "IGN" or "BATT" tap in the fuse panel. I would pull the face off of the dash cluster to make sure for best/strongest screw placement, but you should be good.

Looks good, What is the serpentine set up off of?

*PS - I like how I am not the only one that has stuff stacked on the project car I work on!

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Thanks for the info! The serpentine kit came with the chevy performance crate engine i dropped in, but i believe its off the early to mid 90s trucks or camaro. Im pretty cluttered sometimes, but the previous owner had a shitty maaco paintjob done thats peeling, so im not paticularly worried about scratching it.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Have you considered using the pillar gauge clusters? there not much there to hold a screw, just a bunch of foam and plastic. You could easily change your dash over to gauges and then you wouldn't have to drive screws into your dash. Historically, I have always come to regret attaching things to my dash. Just some food for thought.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
X2 with not drilling holes in a dash that's in good condition. And it appears that you'll have the wires hanging out behind the gauges which will probably be an eyesore after a bit. If you have to mount them somewhere and then mount them on the underside of the dash. I'll second the door pillar pod as well. We have 9 gauges mounted in the dash, under the dash and in the pillar and the only gauge that you can see any of the wiring from is the one under the dash and that's if you look for it.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
It seems like the best method would be to either put a gauge cluster in place of the idiot light cluster, put in a custom cluster or use the A-pillar. It seems like every time I put the gauges down low they're too hard to glance at and I have to take my eyes off the road too long and if I had a G Body dash in good shape I wouldn't want to put any holes in It. That's my two cents.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would also want to make a custom dash plate to mount the gauges and tach so I have a straight view of them, they would also work in a pillar pod set up as long as they are 2-1/16" diameter gauges but they appear to be 2-5/8", but for temporary mounting I would probably mount them under the dash below the radio so I don't have visible holes and wiring..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah, don't screwing anything into the dash pad - it won't hold.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rega..._DvYbQAhWL24MKHRrkBasQsAQIHQ&biw=1680&bih=951

Years ago I cantilevered a bracket that used the stock mounting brackets behind the projecting gauge cluster pad in order to mount a tach and EGT into a custom box that sat where you are looking. The wires dropped out the bottom by the radio cubbie and ran under the dash. It was cleanish, but no where near as clean as in-dash gauges.

Last edited:

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Thanks for the input guys. the dash is in pretty good shape. Damn near flawless even. You guys have successfully talked me out of drilling into the dash! I still dont want to dig into any more projects with the car, than what i already have, or buy new stuff, and I dont really care for A-pillar gauges either.

Im thinking of jerry rigging the gauge plate where i planned it using zip ties and an old leather belt around the corners, of the driver dash area. I dont know if this will work, and it certainly wont look good, but if it works and doesnt look like it will harm the dash ill run it like that for the time being.

The irony is not lost on me though, that id be willing to make something rigged up with zip ties, rather than mounting A-pillar gauges, because i dont like the way they look.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
An update with a few questions.

So with the warmer weather recently this winter I took advantage of it and finished some odds and ends on my swap.

Have her running, down, and hood on. Pretty much everything is ready for hitting the streets for real driving. Still need to get the Exhaust on to really enjoy driving it.

So it's just organizing under the hood and trouble shooting small leaks and securing everything right.

Questions:
1. Vapor canister- instead of getting a new gas cap that breathes I just decided to hook up the canister again. Although I'm not entirely sure how it was originally hooked up.
The one hose was simple enough that connects to the fuel line in front of the steering column. But where does the 2nd longer hose go? It's too short to reach the other line that ran along the frame. What should I connect it to?

2. The v6 fan shroud sorta secures the new radiator, but not that well. So right now it's just zip tied. What are some solutions to securing the radiator down properly? It's a champion radiator for an el Camino if it matters.

Thanks in advance

And Of course a pic for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 222
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor