sunroof

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
has anyone installed one of them universal sunroofs from like jc whitney or ebay. was it hard? or worth it

Don't.

Phoenyx said:

^^ what he said... they are prone to leaking, especially on our cars where the roof helps out with the structure of the car...

ok thanks i wont get one of them

I did have one in my 1979 Monte that I had years ago, come to think of it I shoulda never got rid of that baby,. Anyways I don't know if it was stock or not .......But I never had an issue with it leaking. It also looked kind of cool.... I often think about getting one in my 1984....If I was to do so, I would have it professionally installed with a warranty..........Anyone else got any input??????????

They sure r nice on a sunny day . for cruising. But they heat up interior allot .

I used them all time . On my beaters that is . Most sunroofs styles only last couple years and good luck getting parts if needed. I know from experience.

Basically they r a almost flat unit going in a domed roof . They r universal and distort roof to say the least . With as much pride and as cool as these cars r in the looks department . Its a redneck fix. With interior trim lacking refinement to say the least

Like said on a truck or beater they r fine other wise get a factory roof put on it .

Its up to the owner but I have avoided buying more than 1 aftermarket sunroof car .

Point well taken..................Always thought about doing it though, however.that being said, I would have a hard time hacking up my baby 🙂

I think the ones they have out today are better then the ones they had 20 years ago. They can be had curved to fit a contoured roof. Its really all about the install though, If you did a clean job and sealed it properly I doubt you'd have leaks. That said I still wont be hacking my car for one, however our beater 95 grand am I wouldn't feel bad lopping a hole in the roof hell that car always has wet floors anyway so even if it did leak it wouldn't matter. I'll probaby keep my eyes peeled for a decent looking one at the junkyard next time I go.

I always say, if GM didn't do it neither should you, when it comes to sunroofs

yea, I agree especially for a car thats putting down any kind of power and you would have to cut out a support. g bodies did have an astroroof option, I had a buddy with an 86 hardtop regal with one and it was actually pretty nice but im sure GM added some extra support around the glass where the casual installer wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor