th-350 to muncie 4spd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I did this swap a few years ago on a 1980 GP. I replaced the TH350 with a M22 muncie. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I got a bellhousing and flywheelfrom a 1970s Firebird (I had a 301 in my GP), and a duel centerforce clutch. Had to put a pilot bearing in the back of the crank. And I got my pedals, clutch linkage, and the frame bracket for the linkage from a 1975ish LeMans. Thrn all I had to do was cut a hole in the floor for the shiter (Hurst Super Street Shifter) and everything bolted in. I had a bench seat and there was lots of room for the shifter. The only problem I had was that thn shifter linkage was rubbing againstthe transmission tunnel. So I used a hammer and pounded it over a bit. THis could not be seen from the inside, since it didnt take much.

And a few other things. I was stupd and used a hammer to get the pilot bearing in the crank, so it started to make a squeeling sound whenever I pushed the clutch in. And if you put a close ratio in like I did, you will need good gears. I had 2:73s when I first installed it, an that sucked really bad. But a few weeks later I installed 3:73s and everything was fine. That was one of the funnest cars I had. I you do the swap you will like it.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
I put a 5 speed in mine and yes you will love it.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There is an article on this swap on the website montecarloSS.com. Its pretty complete. In terms of cost, it depends on what transmission you swap in, where you get your parts, and how much of the work that you do yourself. You can also get a manual trans conversion swap kit from Keisler Transmission in the States, but its pretty pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor