Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
www.cardomain.com
Hey guys just a random post
So i was thinking earlier
which is the car of my generation
im 18 years old
and i was just wondering

like for example everyone thinks of the car of there generation as the car they saw when they were a kid growing up and just thought wow and you old guys have so many cool cars of you generation but i dont want to look back 20 years down the road and tell my kids
"yeah when i was a kid we had the cool honda civics with huge exhaust tips and 3ft high spoilers" thats just not cool
or "when i was growing up the toyota prius was the coolest car ever"
they truely don't make em like they used to
i mean the new camaro is cool and so is the challenger
but its just a remake of what actually defines a car
car makers these days are striving too high for practicality and way too low for cool
sports cars are cool but you dont see enough of em to say its the car of your generation
and i cant say my car is the car of my generation because its not its the car of my dads generation
he has owned 12 cutlass's in his day and everyone else his age had one

so someone tell me what is going to be the car of my generation
or when are they going to make it

just a random post sorry for the long rambling
just got to thinking thats all

typically the car of "your generation" is what was new or nearly new and attainable to you in High School.

So yes, you are part of the Civic Generation but thats not all bad news. Cars of your generation produced the fastest production vette ever, family cars that have 250-300hp V6 engines; 0-60 times under 9 seconds all while acheiving 20+ mpg.

Hell even Hyundai is making decent cars nowadays. Keep in mind that the hyundai of my generation produced the "Pony" and back then the mighty Monte Carlo SS produced 180hp from a V8 and the Camaro was not much quicker !

not all bad news at all......

I'm 19, right there with you man. As already mentioned, some of the fastest production cars were built during our generation. I keep forgetting what it is called, but its a newer pontiac gto that has an LS motor in it. Think its called the G6? If we were to look at the most common cars to be the car of our generation, it would have to go between, yet again, the camaro and mustang, not including the import cars.

I remember last year during my senior year, the school newspaper interviewed me for why I listened to older rock music like iron maiden, rush, and the scorpians and drive my malibu? I told the girl "Cause this car is my own time machine. With that music and the sound of a true American muscle car, it brings you back to a simpler time and allows you to think of how fun things were back in the day when you could bring your girl to a drive in movie." Figure the car of our generation is what we want it to be. I'm not gonna tell my kids that the ricers were the cars of our generation. I'm gonna tell'em " the car of my generation is that malibu right there, as your father was the outlaw of his generation." :twisted:

Picture114.jpg

Personally, I think the car or cars of this generation should be the retro cars. The Ford Mustang is the best of the bunch, then the Dodge or Plymouth Challenger(whatever it is),and the Chev Camaro in last place, and that truly pains me, because i'm a die-hard Chev guy. :rofl: mickey-d

patmckinneyracing said:
I'm 19, right there with you man. As already mentioned, some of the fastest production cars were built during our generation. I keep forgetting what it is called, but its a newer pontiac gto that has an LS motor in it. Think its called the G6? If we were to look at the most common cars to be the car of our generation, it would have to go between, yet again, the camaro and mustang, not including the import cars.

I remember last year during my senior year, the school newspaper interviewed me for why I listened to older rock music like iron maiden, rush, and the scorpians and drive my malibu? I told the girl "Cause this car is my own time machine. With that music and the sound of a true American muscle car, it brings you back to a simpler time and allows you to think of how fun things were back in the day when you could bring your girl to a drive in movie." Figure the car of our generation is what we want it to be. I'm not gonna tell my kids that the ricers were the cars of our generation. I'm gonna tell'em " the car of my generation is that malibu right there, as your father was the outlaw of his generation." :twisted:

I like that. I got a couple years on you "kids" lol im 23 but in the same boat.

Well guys, as one of the older guys (37) I think this discussion is funny as hell. G-body's are the cars of my generation, and me and my friends often refer to our generation as the "dark ages of American Muscle". The baddest car on the street were about 100hp v8's. The Monte SS and 5.0 Mustangs are great cars when modified, but in stock from they do not compare to the cars of our parents generation (396 Chevelles, Hemi Cudas, etc), or even the car of your generation - the current mustang or even FWD Monte SS would blow away all but maybe the GN of my day, without even counting the current import tuners, which I have to admit are fast.

Enjoy the second Muscle Car era. Save your money and buy a Camaro, or Challenger (F the Mustang [GM guy can't help it]) as fast as you can.

Stoopud said:
Well guys, as one of the older guys (37) I think this discussion is funny as hell. G-body's are the cars of my generation, and me and my friends often refer to our generation as the "dark ages of American Muscle". The baddest car on the street were about 100hp v8's. The Monte SS and 5.0 Mustangs are great cars when modified, but in stock from they do not compare to the cars of our parents generation (396 Chevelles, Hemi Cudas, etc), or even the car of your generation - the current mustang or even FWD Monte SS would blow away all but maybe the GN of my day, without even counting the current import tuners, which I have to admit are fast.

Enjoy the second Muscle Car era. Save your money and buy a Camaro, or Challenger (F the Mustang [GM guy can't help it]) as fast as you can.

Amen. I'm 36 and feel the same, except the Mustang comment, I like em.

:rofl:

I guess I would have to say the end of the lt and the beginning of the ls camaro/firebirds is where I'm at, when the impala SS turned into a rebadged lumina :rofl: , about the time the 4.6 took place of the 5.0 in the mustangs, and when chrysler still used AMC engines 😀 (jeep 4.0, and 2.5).

Sadly, I would say that there is no cool car of the current generation. That is to say that affordable performance cars no longer exists. A $30k Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, WRX, EVO x, etc. is hardly a car that a teenager can afford. Even if they could afford the payment, the insurance would bury them. The same could be said of any of the cheaper performance models like the SRT-4, Cobalt SS, Civic Si, Scion TC or Hyundai Genesis. While cheaper, most of these cars still top $22k new. So, the fun choice tends to be an older car to fix up. That can be anything from a 90's civic, 240sx, Mustang 5.0 to an older BMW or even a G body. In the end, most of what we think the past generations were like is myth. Most people in their early driving years are just happy to have a car and do not have the kind of money needed for a nice car or a fast car. You may get a hand me down Camry, but your parents may have gotten a hand me down 4 door Plymouth Belvedere or even a Toyota Corona. My parents, for example, grew up at the height of the musclecar era, but both drove 1962 Impala 4 doors with 283/Powerglide drivetrains as their first cars. Neither of them was a car person, but what they drove was typical of their time. When I graduated in 1992, I drove a 6 cyl/ automatic AMC Spirit hatchback to high school, while other people had sexy cars like a Pinto hatchback with woodgrain or beat up Corollas. Only 3 or 4 people had anything fast or nice, and I was in an upper middle class area. The truth is, most people do not usually get a fast car until they get a real job and can afford it.

I was 17 in 1994 so the 2 best cars where:

1994 Mazda RX-7 Twin Turbo

1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor