The wife's 78 El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2011
This might take a while to read. Sorry.

I will start this thread to use a reference when the time comes to start restoration.
I am not able to go to the car and read/take pics of specifics (I will love to but…) but I will provide as much information as I can remember. Remember, I am a rooky when it comes to GM terms and lingo. This will be my first restoration on an American car. I have had old German cars (still do) so…bear with me and my slow questions. Thanks!

The car was bought about 7 months ago from a second owner. During the 80s, he takes it to Germany and Italy while serving the military. Upon return, shortly after, he died. The car sat in the driveway, getting the occasional start/warm up run by his son and widow.
It is all original (I think). It has a 305 and what it seems to be complete with A/C. It has what it looks like a Quadra Jet (sp) carb. My fathers 78 Nova had one of them carbs too. It worked perfect until one day the devil himself got inside that carb…the Nova never was the same.
I want the 305 as power plant. My wife is not interested (is her car) to be loud or to be shaking while at idle at the stop light. She want is as quite and as powerful as possible…so I will stick with the 305. It is ok if you make fun of my engine choice, trust me, as long we all can laugh along. :wink:
My questions:
1. I do have friends who can come over and help with the engine rebuild. Taking the above in consideration, how would you build ‘your’ 305?
2. Are 305 crate engines available? I am sure they are. May you send me links of places YOU would use?
3. What transmission will YOU use? Remember, this is for street use. Notice I did not write “my wife will be driving this car”. She can be heavy on the foot if it need to. On the same note, does this year/model transmission good enough to withstand the type of engine you guys are about to (virtually) help me build!?
4. Last but not least. Differential specs.

I have included all of the above in one ‘question’ because I know they all have to work together as a one. I want this car to look and perform good for years to come. I do not plan nor want to keep adding, taking or modifing anything after this caro is finish.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Sounds like a nice project. Before I make any suggestions there are a couple of questions I have.

How will the El Camino primarily be driven:

Stop and go in town

Highway (and what is the maximum highway speed in your area)

Is fuel mileage important?

Is the cost of fuel important (i.e. are you willing to pay for a higher grade of fuel on a regular basis)?

Just trying to get a feel for the parameters you’re want to work in.

Mike P said:
Welcome. Sounds like a nice project. Before I make any suggestions there are a couple of questions I have.
How will the El Camino primarily be driven: Stop and go in town. Highway (and what is the maximum highway speed in your area)
El Camino will be driven mainly on highways and secondary roads. Ocassionally store runs and such. Highway max speed is 70mph.
Mike P said:
Is fuel mileage important?.
It is. We had a 05 Nissan Xterra at one time and it was a fuel hog...I guess around 17mpg give or take, is acceptable,
Mike P said:
Is the cost of fuel important (i.e. are you willing to pay for a higher grade of fuel on a regular basis)?.
High grade fuel is not a problem. Actually that is what we use on our cars; mid to high greade.

Mike P said:
Just trying to get a feel for the parameters you’re want to work in.
Yes, Thank you.I forgot about those details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor