ticking noise? Timing Iasue?

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I need help playing Guess That Noise! I heard this engine run prior to installation and it sounded great. I have recently just installed it and it sounds nasty. I am thinking the sort of repeated ticking noise is related to my timing possibly being off but am looking for other opinions

car noise

Have you removed all the belts to eliminate noise coming from any pulleys, or the fan. Also unbolt torque converter from the flex plate and push it back towards trans for clearance; assuming it's an auto.

Are the valve covers the same as when it was run out of car? Maybe roller style rockers are hitting inside of covers, and they need to be taller.

Get a long screwdriver or actual engine stethoscope see if you can determine if the noise is top of engine, left or right valve cover, front timing cover or from bottom or in oil pan area.

Use a cylinder balance analyzer (kinda old school, analog tach/dwell meter style, Craftsman had one back in the day) and see if killing one cylinder at a time changes or isolates the noise to a particular cylinder(s).

If you don't have one, you can use test light and some short pieces of vacuum line between spark plug wires and cap to kill spark. Some guys like to poke holes in the boots on the distributor cap but I don't like doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Have you removed all the belts to eliminate noise coming from any pulleys, or the fan. Also unbolt torque converter from the flex plate and push it back towards trans for clearance; assuming it's an auto.

Are the valve covers the same as when it was run out of car? Maybe roller style rockers are hitting inside of covers, and they need to be taller.

Get a long screwdriver or actual engine stethoscope see if you can determine if the noise is top of engine, left or right valve cover, front timing cover or from bottom or in oil pan area.

Use a cylinder balance analyzer (kinda old school, analog tach/dwell meter style, Craftsman had one back in the day) and see if killing one cylinder at a time changes or isolates the noise to a particular cylinder(s).

If you don't have one, you can use test light and some short pieces of vacuum line between spark plug wires and cap to kill spark. Some guys like to poke holes in the boots on the distributor cap but I don't like doing that.
I have removed the belts. the noise seems to be coming from near cylinder 8 using the screwdriver method. I have pulled the number 8 spark plug and inserted a metal rod with a magnetic end on it trying to see if something had somehow gotten into that cylinder. I rotated the engine a little bit at a time while using the magnetic pickup but didn't find anything there. The valve covers are listed as being "Tall" covers but I will pull the valve cover from that side tomorrow hopefully if it doesn't rain.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds gnarly. I'm thinking that it just might be a rocker arm rubbing on the valve cover, possibly the baffle. I had that issue with some tall Edelbrock Signature Series covers once.

I would definitely check the rockers to make sure they're all properly tight and not banging into anything in the valve cover.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor