Transmission vendors

90hurst/oldsguy

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2013
KZF doesn't use a hammer to shift from 1-2 like the OZ that came in the 83 and 84 H/O and 85 442, but it is one of the better units to start with, similar to the CZFs and BRFs and earlier BR GN and CZ Monte SS 200-4Rs. When new, the OZ's were very brutal 1-2 shifts. It almost felt like you were getting rear-ended with another car. After a while, they settled down a bit, but when new? Yikes.

86 and 87 KZFs got softer calibrations for that 1-2 shift. Don't let anyone try to tell you KZFs came in the H/Os, because they were only OZs. 85 442 was a carry-over drivetrain exactly as the 84 H/O so that's why it got the OZ.

Stock 305s and turbo 231s and 307s wouldn't instantly kill a 200-4R, so they were plenty for their day and power range. They did cheap out on some engineering. But putting them behind high HP engines is probably not the greatest idea. You can bullet-proof them with lots of $$$ and a good builder, but with other options out there that are sturdier out of the gate, why would you?
I had have gotten rid of my OZ code trans like an idiot but I was 17 at the time and the trans was toast

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor