Tuning with a five gas analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfischbone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
Corpus Christi, TX
I have a carbureted engine with no O2 sensor. I do have an exhaust gas analyzer. The only specs I can find for setting your lambda for 1 expresses CO in %. My analyzer measures in ppm. Does anyone know what ppm of CO I should get at 14.7:1 AFR?

These are the specs I can find but want to know how it translates in ppm:

Tuning with a 5-Gas Analyzer and Wideband Lambda Meter
The use of a portable 5-gas exhaust gas analyzer and/or a wideband sensor based A/F meter can allow a tuner to observe the A/F mixture the engine is getting from its fuel system at any engine operating condition.
A starting point for A/F mixtures for most mild performance engines is:

• Idle: 1.0% to 3.0 % CO or a 14.1-13.4:1;

• Cruise rpm: 1.0% CO or a 14.1:1 with a mild performance engine; or 1.0% - 3.0% CO or a 14.1 – 13.4:1 with high performance cam; and

• Power mixture and acceleration: 6.0% CO or a 12.5:1 for a “normal” engine or high performance engine with improved combustion chamber design such as a Pro Stock or a NASCAR engine; in some cases you may be able to use a slightly leaner power mixture of 4% CO or a 13.0:1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor