Vinyl top removal. Lots o' pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
One more difference...
Vinyl top cars will not have the studs on the body that surround the rear glass, which are what the trim clips attach to for the rear window trim.
You'll have to pull the rear glass to either weld in the proper studs, or even just screw them in place.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
I've been thinking about pulling my top off once I get the Cutlass repainted next year.... I just cant make up my mind if I want to loose all the trim and top or keep it orig with fresh paint.....

Hard choice for me....... I like a clean un temperd look but I dont really want to spend weeks puddying and sanding trim holes to prep for paint.... :roll:

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
Just a suggestion...don't remove the filler in the 1/4 panel to roof seam. That should be lead from the factory. You can go over it with plastic(bondo) but if you remove the lead and only use plastic it will eventually crack.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
I believe GM stopped using lead before our cars were built. FYI the filler panel between the trunk and rear window is removeable. I got one from a non vinyl car. Also, I have an extra set (3 piece) of rear window trim.

S5031174.jpg

S5031209.jpg

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
I bumped into some lead like material on my drivers side b-pillar while taking off my vinyl top also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor