Vinyl top

Status
Not open for further replies.

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
I have a question in regards to the 1979 Pontiac Grand Prix vinyl top. What color top do I have or better yet what did GM call it for Pontiac? To myself looks tan but I have been diagnosed at a earlier age as color blind. Can anyone help with this answer? 14F492E6-DBF2-4CC1-B9F3-DBD663FD3B7D.jpeg

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
So I just noticed this. You have a GP but that is clearly a Buick emblem on the trim in the photo. Something is going on here. Maybe your top has been replaced in the past. My 78 GP doesn't have trim at all, just a piece of bulb seal bonded to the front edge.
Ok you are correct because I am Gerry rigging my top. I am going to use that trim you see from a Buick lesabre to keep from having to replace my shrunk peeling away from top chrome trim top assy. If O remove the Buick trim that is just sitting on there btw, you would see a separation of the vinyl. My wife and I are putting this together to go to weekend riding and maybe get ice cream. We are not trying to put a lot of money in this GP but, there is a few areas cosmetically where money will be spent. As for Buick trim you see in the pic we plan to use it but replace the Buick emblem with Pontiac decals instead..lol

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Ahh, I guess I missed out on that. You are lucky to have a t top car. I really want one. Mine is a hard top.

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
Ahh, I guess I missed out on that. You are lucky to have a t top car. I really want one. Mine is a hard top.
That is the one thing that actually sold us on it. We actually liked the color and the interior is starting to grow on us. It’s a v6 but to us riding is riding. We wanted something to enjoy while we still can. Got a little to do to Edna but aren’t breaking the bank and enjoying being creative along the way

Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
That is the one thing that actually sold us on it. We actually liked the color and the interior is starting to grow on us. It’s a v6 but to us riding is riding. We wanted something to enjoy while we still can. Got a little to do to Edna but aren’t breaking the bank and enjoying being creative along the way
There is nothing inherently wrong with a V6. Tune it up and get it running right and it will treat you just fine. Ignore the people saying pull it and swap it for something bigger. I've had plenty of V6 drivers from that era, I was always happy with them. The one thing I would say is get a 200 4R in it and a little more gear in back. Eliminate the lock up and use a non lock up converter. The motor will be happier and your mileage will go up. That will pay for the swap by itself. Plus you will get better acceleration. You won't feel like traffic is pushing you.

Reactions: 1 users

genestang

Apprentice
Sep 18, 2021
There is nothing inherently wrong with a V6. Tune it up and get it running right and it will treat you just fine. Ignore the people saying pull it and swap it for something bigger. I've had plenty of V6 drivers from that era, I was always happy with them. The one thing I would say is get a 200 4R in it and a little more gear in back. Eliminate the lock up and use a non lock up converter. The motor will be happier and your mileage will go up. That will pay for the swap by itself. Plus you will get better acceleration. You won't feel like traffic is pushing you.
We feel exactly the same way got a few things to get Edna going but she is coming along just fine

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor