Wagon Headliner redo | info on clips & trim | ceiling insulation |roof rack tightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Psychedelic, man! When I did this job in 1994, the clips for the wagon rear trim pieces were already gone even then. I drilled 1/8" holes in the metal trims and ground a bolt down so it made a beveled countersink shape with a pin in the middle. By carefully laying out the holes evenly and drilling carefully so as not to drill through the roof panel, I then used the tool to inset the holes and installed stainless oval-head Philllips screws and it looked quasi-factory. And fully removable later when the next owner despaired at the Mexican blanket decor...

Thanks, Brian, for taking the time to show us how it's done! This thread should be stickied.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. I have many more videos in the works but I'm always up for suggestions. I'm also open to any criticisms.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I'd like to see a dash cap install. HAFROD did an awesome job and took photos, but video would be better. If you need to fix your chalky rear interior panels, HAFROD found several light coats of bedliner applied with a roller did a fair job of simulating the molded grain pattern.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'd like to see a dash cap install. HAFROD did an awesome job and took photos, but video would be better. If you need to fix your chalky rear interior panels, HAFROD found several light coats of bedliner applied with a roller did a fair job of simulating the molded grain pattern.
The dash is a hot item for the wife. She says If I can get that fixed and make sure no fumes come in to the cabin she will ride with me more often. So it is high on the list. I don't have a plan, so I can't promise it will be a dash cap. I have been toying with the idea of flocking the dash. I just need to make sure I can make it look neat and I'll be able to live with it. I guess I could sand it all off and do a dash cap if I really didn't like it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Brian,
Once again, nice job on your Mexican blanket headliner....very cool south western look.
Most wagon guys know exactly what you mean about trying to source the OEM headliner garnish moulding clips. The clips over the windshield are standard G-body clips, whereas, over the quarter windows and rear hatch glass are extremely difficult to find and are not reproduced. So, it's a matter of finding NOS clips thru the internet.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Oh man, I wish I thought of that washer and nut solution for the roof rack before buying the well nuts! That's a design improvement for sure!
I was pretty hesitant. I didn't know how well it would seal. In hindsight I should have used just a touch of RTV for insurance. It hasn't leaked yet though. Fingers crossed.

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor