Wagon Rear Bumper question

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnboy123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2019
I'm in need of new bumpers for my 1979 wagon and am wondering if anyone on this forum has used a '73 - '77 rear bumper on their '78 -83 wagon. If so, how much trouble was it to adapt and how did it look?
I don't know of any near me to measure. I am just thinking of something different...

Attachments

• 1973_Chevy_Chevelle_Malibu.jpg
    1973_Chevy_Chevelle_Malibu.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 265

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
78-87 Elcamino rear bumpers are the same.

Elcamino bumpers are reproduced. Most of your favorite G body reproduction part shops stock them

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Even if you do find one from a clam shell body wagon, you'll most likely have to narrow and modify it. I think it would look pretty cool. It also depends on how much work you want to devote to it.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

johnboy123

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2019
Apparently it's too wide.
Seems that most people are running either : Stock, Narrowed, or Fiberglass tucked... and I just thought the earlier taillights would be something different. Thanks for the input.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I like the thought of doing something different. I think the earlier taillights would look cool on an A/G-body wagon. I suppose if you can come across one of those rear bumpers from a wagon or El Camino of that era, it would be worth playing with. Considering the price isn't too steep.
Those taillights made to fit on a G-body bumper would look sweet. I do recall seeing those taillights on a custom El Camino bumper.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Would end up something like this, no thank you..
Those are actually Corvette taillights, and I agree....no bueno. I don't care for them either. The A-body clamshell wagon taillights, as indicated above, are not quite as large as the Corvette lights, therefore I think they wouldn't look as obtrusive.

View attachment 156565

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor