wd-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Should i use wd-40 or silicone lube on carburetor linkages? What is the recommended lube around the carb?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
wd-40 is much better for freeing up the linkage, but silicone not only sticks, it spreads. in other words the silicone will be better for keeping it lubed for long periods. tell you the truth, i prefer PB blaster for freeing things up.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
perfect thanks. I sprayed some wd40 on the linkages and seems to be operating alot smoother, and is coming off the fast idle right away when I tap the gas. I'll spray some silicone to keep it clean and lubed.
thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The factory advises not useing any lube on carb linkage. That said, WD-40 sure frees it up nicely, but it means that it could use a good cleaning. Carb cleaner should remove the dirt and a toothbrush or tiny paint brush will loosen the stubborn crud. It's amazing how cruddy carbs get.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
^What he said. Carb linkage shouldn't be lubed, it attracts dirt that way. Granted after a rebuild a dab here and there wouldn't hurt. However you probably are in need of a rebuild if lube was needed.
The dirt is probably what was causing it to hang up. The lube just made the dirt slipery. To clean it out you need some carb cleaner. But don't be surprised if all the seals get sloppy after you clean it, the it may leak fuel or have a vacuum leak. That happened to me, I was rebuilding a fair running carb, and after it went back together, the throttle shafts were leaking. The junk that got in there was sealing it. In your case, the dirt that made the linkage hang up also is probably keeping everything that was worn in tolerance.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
All I've used for that last almost 20 years is carb cleaner on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor