What Can I Put In My 79??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
Ok so my understanding is there are a variation to the V6s that came in the Monte, now as of now I am still undable to tell which V6 I have other than knowing its a V6.. here is the question, what years of V6s can I swap in there with minimal modification... which years of V8s can I swap in there... I only ask cause I am not sure which route I want to take with the engine yet, keep it stock (for gas mileage purposes) or go with a small V8... in the end I am not a speed freak anymore thanks to the General Distric courts and the fine police officers who caught me racing and well convinced me that I needed to turn over a new leaf in the way I drive and road activities..lol. so this project is most likely leaning tword the low and slow cruiser, but in the case I feel like feeling what kind of *ss it might have I want a descent power plant... so to claify, in the V6 and V8 realm, how far is the range in years or generations of engines I can put in my 79 Monte Carlo.. help really needed.... thanks all. 8)

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
small block chevy is the easiest to find, modify and install in my opinion. you at most change 2 motor mounts that cost 8 bucks each and re use the existing transmission mount for most transmission sush as a th350. if you dont wanna go fast then dont build it up! just leave the factory rear end in it and t=-you wont go too fast anyways, lol. 8)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Anything from a Buick or Chevy V6 to a big Block Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick or even a Cadillac 500 can fit in a G body engine bay, most of them using factory mounts. The easiest route for a good driver engine is a Chevy 327, 350 or 400 small block bolted to a TH350 or a TH200 4R ( if you don't mind minor welding). Get a 3.23, 3.42 or 3.73 rear with a mild 350 and you will have a very driveable car with respectable acceleration. Almost anything is better than that V6!

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
He said "with minimal modifiaction". Going to a different brand or even a big block means modifications.

If you want decent mileage and not a real tire burner a clean Chev 305 or 350 will do nicely. Parts will be easier to find and be cheaper than V6 parts. You can still use the existing V6 alternator, power steering pump and A/C compressor (if equipped).

A 4 barrel carb will get you better gas mileage than a two barrel will, as long as you stay out of the secondaries.

TPI means fuel management and fuel tank mods, and not really worth it for a bone stock engine swap.

Which trans is in the car now, a 3 speed or a 4 speed?

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
87MonteSS said:
He said "with minimal modifiaction". Going to a different brand or even a big block means modifications.

If you want decent mileage and not a real tire burner a clean Chev 305 or 350 will do nicely. Parts will be easier to find and be cheaper than V6 parts. You can still use the existing V6 alternator, power steering pump and A/C compressor (if equipped).

A 4 barrel carb will get you better gas mileage than a two barrel will, as long as you stay out of the secondaries.

TPI means fuel management and fuel tank mods, and not really worth it for a bone stock engine swap.

Which trans is in the car now, a 3 speed or a 4 speed?
would have to find out, not reall sure most I have done to the car is swapping interior as I havent even gotten a battery for it since I got it., is it worth going to the salvage yard and finding the 305, or just buy one from a shop or something??? thanks for the feedback

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Chances are, you have a 200 or 229 chevy V6. The early 4.3 liter Chevy V6's are basically the same block.

Seen a few of these swaps, and I have been told that they are very straightforward. A couple folks simply swapped the longblock to save money.

I personally haven't done it, nor have I needed to. However, the blocks are nearly identical.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Front distributor= Buick, Rear Distributor= Chevy

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
so I went to the salvage yard and was poking around a few cars, found some potential engines that may or may not require rebuild, but here is the question what is with the Cadi engines I found that were mounted left to right vice front to back???? oh and I did find a nive 79 Cadi with a clean V8, car was smashed, that engine would work in my car right???

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
The Caddy has a horizontal engine set up because it's front wheel drive. You'd be better off with a small block out of something that is rear drive. I'd be willing to bet the motor in the Caddy is a 4.4L but I'm not sure when they switched over.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
what cadillac had a 4.4??? 4.1 and 4.5 are the most common, 4.1 has a bad rep but still not worth a damn, 4.5 is a excellent motor and some say its the best cadillac ever made but these engines are not built for rwd cars, they belonf in fwd casillacs and thats about it. small chevy is the best in my opinion.... if you are having issues figureing out the difference between fwd and rwd you may want to consider paying someone to swap the motor or not doing it at all, not saying anything bad but it takes some know how to swap a motor....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor