WHAT DO BLUE LICENSE PLATES GO FOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELBMINO

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 21, 2010
SOCAL
i just wondering since i have a brand new set never installed with all paper work.. should i hold on to them longer or just sell these now.. a must have for all late 70's- 80's cars..

lolwut.jpg

could you elaborate on just what a blue license plate is, or maybe show a pic of it?

If these are actual license plates they would be cool for a license plate collector or something, but what is a g body owner gonna do with them besides put them on the wall? No way you are gonna be able to put them on your car (at least for on-road driving).

eocoolj said:
could you elaborate on just what a blue license plate is, or maybe show a pic of it?

If these are actual license plates they would be cool for a license plate collector or something, but what is a g body owner gonna do with them besides put them on the wall? No way you are gonna be able to put them on your car (at least for on-road driving).

I GUESS I HAD TO MUCH YAK WHEN TYPING THIS.. :puke: OK A HAVE A BRAND NEW SET OF BLUE CALIFORNIA PLATES
THAT WERE NEVER INSTALLED ON A CAR. I HAVE ALL THE PAPERWORK . I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANY ONES CHOICE BUT
I WOULD RATHER HAVE THESE ON A ORIGINAL LATE 70 , 80'S CAR.. JUST LIKE YOU WOULD THE BLK AND YELLOW PLATES
FOR 60'S CHEVYS.. :blam:

but is there any way to register these to a car?? I think you need to get your license plates from the DMV. In New Jersey at least i'm pretty sure you cant just show up with an old pair of license plates and ask them to register them to your car.

I've been told that you can register pretty much any plate you want. You have to mail the old plate to some special tag office that the county tells you to send to. Then it's inspected and if it's in good enough shape, and the numbers aren't already in use, then they will register it for you and mail it back to you for your car. I don't know if there are any fees involved but I see the old car tags all the time on the road.

^^^^^^^^^IM GOING TO ASK THE DMV ABOUT THESE. HOPEFULLY I CAN SELL THEM TO SOMEBODY THAT WOULD LOVE
TO HAVE ORIGINAL BLUE CALI PLATES ON THERE G BODY . CAN ALWAYS CLAIM 1ST OWNER 😀

here in indiana we have a program called year of manufacture plates. where you can use the plate from the model year of your car. i believe the only catch is the vehicle must be 25 years or older. two more years to go for us 87s 8)

below is the link to the indiana bmv explaining the program.

https://myweb.in.gov/BMV/mybmvportal/Pl ... ogram.aspx

you may want to check your state site to see if they have a similar program.

i have green plates on my car 🙂 they are called hobbiest plates here in wisconsin, one time fee and you never have to register them ever again, blue plates here are called collector plates(same thing one time fee), to get them your car has to be 20 years or older and original, and then the hobbiest plates your car has to be 20 years or older and 3 or more things majorly modified on it and for both you have to have another vehical registered under your name in order to get them and you cant drive your car in january and thats it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor