what exhaust for my current 3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys.

Well, when I got my GP, the exhaust had it. There were holes in the tubing, the muffler crumbled when I removed it, and when I added a clamp on tip, it broke the tubing off. haha! Needless to say, the exhaust was beat.

So currently (the car isn't insured or inspected until I fix this), the exhaust consists of all stock tubing, a clogged cat, and no muffler. The exhaust ends by the drivers side wheel well. lol. At the end of the bend, right above the rear end. Yeah, it's pretty sad.

Having this said, I obviously need to do something about this before I can inspect it. That, and brakes and the car is in tip top shape. Well, and a new fuel line too. lol. But the exhaust is first.

I bought a cheap Thrush super turbo muffler for it last summer and just never installed it. The car actually sounds alright, it's just super illegal. lol. It'd sound pretty mean if it was a V8 though... Regardless, I decided the Thrush won't be loud enough for my tastes. Especially after running no muffler. I have a few options. Maybe you can add more?

Originally, I thought that if I went to a classic plate, that I didn't need to pass emissions. But regardless, I was told I still need a cat. Oh well. I'll but a high-flow one. Done. So, after that, I was between going to an exhaust shop and having them either bend me tubing and just buy a muffler, or just buy a cat back system. I wasn't sure how much new tubing from a shop would be. Maybe you know? I guess to save cost, I'll just go stock dimensions with a single exhaust. Unless we could go Camaro style where they use 1 muffler and bend the tubing to make 2 exits. That works too. lol. So get bent tubing and a normal muffler. Maybe Flowmaster 40? I know that the FI 3.8's don't sound good with a Flowmaster, but i think a 40 would sound good since it's older. Any feedback?

That, or flowmaster offers a cat back system for the GN 3.8. I figure both set-up's would cost about the same.

Let's hear it!!!

:wink:

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Dont quote me but I think a GN is a single muffler behind the rear axle and 2 pipes. One in front of each rear wheel. It might bolt up cat back too. not sure.

thebaron

Apprentice
Jul 11, 2006
Was that a 2 1/4 muffler on your 85 GP? Just upgraded to a turbo 350 transmission and I assume you have a 200, which should be sent to the graveyard for scrap.... :D It pulls! It pulls!

Renthorin

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Michigan
Stock exhaust on the GN is a Y pipe off the converter...two pipes into a single muffler...two pipes out. It is crap.

Hooker makes a nice 2 muffler system for after the cat. Same thing they ran on the 442.

I put that on my 84 Cutlass with a 3.8 and it looked/sounded nice.

averagewhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
TheBaron, you mean you changed out your transmission and it made a big difference in the terrible 3.8? lol.

And yes, I saw the Hooker one and liked how it looked. I just didn't know if it'd be cheaper to do that or have a shop bend pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor