What Got You Into G-Bodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
Just curious how everyone got into this G-Body "scene", so to speak.

Me... I had owned a ton of cars since I started driving, but I mostly considered myself a B-Body guy. I converted a '78 Oldsmobile Delta-88 from a Diesel 350 to a gasoline 350, and then converted that to a 403 (the best part of that car was that it had no catalytic converter and that was legal, because the VIN identified it as a diesel, and they don't get the emissions equipment! Ah, loopholes). I also had a 1987 Caprice Estate station wagon that I fixed up and gave to my mom (and which was subsequently stolen and utterly thrashed by people who felt it necessary to reprogram the stereo to all the Spanish stations). My all-time favorite car, to that point, had been my second car ever... a 350-powered 1977 Caprice Classic.

These cars had met somewhat unceremonious ends (except for the '77 Caprice, which is now living in fully restored, show-car glory somewhere in Virginia) and, in 1999, I was driving a 1984 Caprice Estate wagon out of sheer desperation. The car, which I had named "The Juggernaut", was far from what I'd had in my '77; it was a mess inside... all the plastic was crumbling... the 307 was barely able to chug it along. I was searching for a replacement as I considered it a total loss, but despite an abundance of B-bodies for sale, I could not find one within my price range. At least, not one that ran.

Then, one day, my dad called me up and said, "Would you be open to driving a Grand Prix?" I immediately envisioned the Grand Prix across the street... a 1989, four-door, FWD model that I was not entirely enamored of. My dad had found the particular GP he was speaking of at a local Amoco and, though hesitant, I figured I'd go look at it. After all, the Juggernaut wasn't getting any better.

Instead of being what I expected, there sat this lovely little G-Body with a 231 V6 and disgustingly girly decals everywhere. Apparently the car had belonged to the wife of the guy that owned the gas station and it had been well taken care of. And, most importantly, it vaguely reminded me of a two-door Caprice coupe.

I gave the guy $500 for it and drove it home the same day. It didn't take me more than ten minutes behind the wheel to fall in love with the car. And, though today it's barely recognizable as the car I bought in 1999, I've had her ever since.

So that's my story. How 'bout you guys?

wolfs1959

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2007
Kansas city MO
I actually started out an A-body(?) man my second running car was a 69chevelle that had taken out a few fence posts after a complete amature restore. with might i ad a baaaad 454 in it. I bought it from the guy for "chump change" you could say, by comparison what they are going for now. had a new full quarter panel welded in and repainted. a few weeks later it met its untimely demise from the fury of a F-5 tornado(along with my house,both my moms cars,my nighbors house and just about anything that resembled home at the time within a 10mi radius) :cry: :cry: .

anyways my best freind was into gbodys. he had an 86regal for 300bucks couldnt pass it up had a chevy 305 power seats windows... from then on i have been hooked.

mainly because these are probably the cheapest "muscle car" anyone can own/build and after loosing my chevelle i had almost 10grand wraped up into i turned into a cheap bas***d :p .

Joe

gbodyfever

Greasemonkey
Jun 19, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
my dad got me into the g-body scene, hes always had a g-body as i gre up but for the most amount of years was his 1980 442 , the gold and black 350 olds , man that thing made some memories in my head, that 350 old a tired threw us back in the seat more the my dad 350 regal, i loved that car but after awhile it just finally was at the end, needed new paint was starting to rust, motor was gunna go anyday, so he sold it for i think $800, hes had 80s cutlass's, some grand prixs, and a regal, never a monte carlo tho. but thats how i got started just from growing up in them so i always said my first cars gunna be a cutlass and now i got 2 haha.still saving for my dream monte tho

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
gbodyfever said:
my dad got me into the g-body scene, hes always had a g-body as i gre up but for the most amount of years was his 1980 442 , the gold and black 350 olds , man that thing made some memories in my head

Yeah, my dad was something of a driving force in that, too. He was an old G-Body guy... had an early '70s Monte Carlo in his parents' garage that he had been in the process of building on the order of ten years, before he finally gave up. I guess he lived kind of vicariously through me.

He actually tried to talk me into getting an '84 Monte Carlo, when I still had my '77 Caprice. I was not receptive to the idea at the time. Probably all for the best... I can't see me being a Monte guy anyway. ;-)

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
I was a Nova guy for a lot of years. I've owned at least one of every year they were made. Then you couldn't find them anywhere so I switched to Camaros, Trans Ams and Firebirds. I got bored with those and started looking for a different car.

When I saw the Monte SS in the local Auto Trader I called the guy and ran down there with a deposit immediately.

I'll be sticking with it for a long long time I think. I wanted one when they were new, but I was in high school and couldn't afford one. I remember taking a GN for test drive in '87 too, it was fun but I just didn't like how plain they looked on the outside.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Heh, I just grew up with the things! Before I graduated high school, we owned:

'78-ish Malibu 2-dr, Dk. blue w/ lt. blue int.
'78 or '79 Grand Prix SJ, Black w/ tan int. + console/buckets
'78 Cutlass Cruiser Wagon. Met an untimely end when we got rearended and the bumper came off along with parts of the frame ends :oops:
'80-ish Malibu Wagon, dad finally retired her about '97
'81 GP (now mine!) since about '85, started off as a diesel, had about 3 different 455s before the 403 4/spd it is now. Rode home from the dealer (couldn't drive yet!)
I think there may have been a Malibu 4-dr in there somewhere, but I can't be sure.

...and the granddaddy, the "Dragon Wagon", a '80 (iirc?) Malibu Wagon, factory 4-spd, Dk. Blue w/ black buckets/vinyl interior. The little 267 went byebye and ol' dad put in a 402BB (w/ 427 air cleaner decal, nobody knew :wink:). Police order speedo. + tach cluster. Elky SS chin spoiler. We showed that car for a few years before he sold it. Last seen in the Madison WI area around '86/'87/'88 or so. Would love to know what happened to it.

Since then I've had a '79 Cutlass 260 (got just before graduation in '90) that I had to retire in '96 when the frame cracked over the rear wheels :oops: and an '86 GP 3.8, spun a bearing and went to the yard when after closer inspection the entire rear half of the car had been replaced and the welds were cracking!

And the GP403 is still mine! :evil: :twisted: Started this site, too! :wink:

Guess its in the blood! :D

Although if I could find a Monza (my first car) that wasn't rusted into the ground I might snatch it up just for old time's sake!

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
My first car was an 81 Olds Cutlass (231 V6, auto, 4 door, A/C). It was a high school graduation gift from my grandparents (1994). They bought it from a relative in Florida that was getting too old to drive. Had 27k original miles. I had it for 5 years, 69k miles. It needed soome work and I needed a little more reliable transportation. I wanted to keep it, but my parents wouldn't let me :cry:

So anyway, I move out and 4 years later, a coworker was selling an 84 Grand Prix. I never had a 2 door car (beside a pickup). I bought it for around $1300. Had 75k miles, 231 V6, auto, A/C. Now, it's my project car.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
My first car was an 81 Monte V6. I sold it a year later and got a mint 80 Monte Carlo, 2-tone blue with a 350 for $1500!! 18 years later, I've been hooked ever since.

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
yo

I lives in the province of Quebec and with the load of calcium on the road in the winter, your a lucky man to find a 1995 with no rust. It was my dream to find any two-door Gm with a V-8 that I can swap et have fun with it. And one day on internet, it was like an dream. A red two-door 1979 Pontiac Grand Lemans with a 305 4 barrel bucket seat for sale , a 1000$ never roll in the winter ( include a 450$ sirrius stereo ) I called the guy and bargain him on the phone for 850$ on the phone. My gf was discourage because the car was for a big 9hrs drive!!!!!! The car was in Qc City ans I lives in Chandler. I told my gf, your coming with me or I'm taking the bus. I took a day off work and drove to get the car. But after the 8-9 hrs drive I was still sceptic to find a 1979 with a good frame and floor in our province. When I arrive in the street of the car owner and I've seen it, my first taught was " I hope the frame is good" I look under and I was in heaven. I made and two thumps up to my gf , but she ask, what about the motor. I told her I don't give a damned, theres tons of 305 and 350. So we start her up and, my first Gm v-8 sound perfect!!!! Give money to the guy, went to the licence, walk to a phone boot to get the car insured. The guy ask where I was going with it, I answer him Chandler, he yeld what????? He told me the car never went out of Quebec city, I told him the car is leaving this afternoon. And come right down home for a another 8-9 hrs drive in the same day. Tired that I was, it was a pleasure coming down the High way, wow!!!!

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
There was no single event that occured for me. More like several little things that made me want a g-body.

It first started when I was looking for a cool car. You know, all the cool guys always had the old or fast cars. Something V8 and RWD was a must or atleast RWD. FWD is for women and pansies. I wanted to go all out.

Well the g-body cars fit that criteria. They were still relitivley cheap, looked cool. and if it didnt have a V8. I could always put one in. Probably my first impression was made when me and friend were cruising around when he said hey a cutlass. I looked over and saw a beat up 81-86 cutlass. But I also saw potential. It also turned out that my boss drove nothing but cutty's, monte's, and GP's. So he kind of influence my decison.

So gathered info and such on them, saved my money and started my search. Found a Regal for sale on the paper route I run, and bought her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor