What is the procedure to narrow an A body 12 bolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bww92ls1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2008
Smiths Grove, KY
I bought a narrowed 12 bolt for my Malibu, but it is not narrowed all the way to the factory width. It is still 1 3/8" wider (total width). I can only take 3/8" off of each side or my axle splines will bottom out. I would have to send them off and get them resplined further down the axle if I went all the way to the g-body stock width. I would like to know if I did as much as I could would I have plenty of clearance with a 4.5" backspaced wheel and a 28 X 10.5 tire tucked up in a 79 Malibu wheel well. It would then be 5/8" wider than a stock g-body rear. If I need to go further I would be interested in selling the Strange axles and ordering what I need. Also what would be the procedure for narrowing it. It has been narrowed at the end of the axle tubes. As far as I know none of the mounting brackets have been altered from a stock a-body rearend. Do they need to be and do you narrow a rearend by pulling the tubes and cutting off them at the center section. Any info on a 12 bolt swap would be appreciated!

bww92ls1 said:
I bought a narrowed 12 bolt for my Malibu, but it is not narrowed all the way to the factory width. It is still 1 3/8" wider (total width). I can only take 3/8" off of each side or my axle splines will bottom out. I would have to send them off and get them resplined further down the axle if I went all the way to the g-body stock width. I would like to know if I did as much as I could would I have plenty of clearance with a 4.5" backspaced wheel and a 28 X 10.5 tire tucked up in a 79 Malibu wheel well. It would then be 5/8" wider than a stock g-body rear. If I need to go further I would be interested in selling the Strange axles and ordering what I need. Also what would be the procedure for narrowing it. It has been narrowed at the end of the axle tubes. As far as I know none of the mounting brackets have been altered from a stock a-body rearend. Do they need to be and do you narrow a rearend by pulling the tubes and cutting off them at the center section. Any info on a 12 bolt swap would be appreciated!

I know you need the upper arms that swap the A body rear into the G-Body. Also the spring purches on the 12 bolt are in front of the axle tube, on the G Bodies they are on top of the axle tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor