what will my car run???

Status
Not open for further replies.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
i have a 87 monte carlo that i havent taken to the stripe yet cause im working weekend for now so i dont have the time but im wondering what every1s guess of what it might run. its got a 89 roller motor out of a vette but doesnt have the aluminum heads its just got the iroc heads so its pretty much a iroc or z28 motor but its got heads with 2 1/2 pipe to 40 series flowmasters with a rpm performer intake with a holley dp , accel ignition backed behind is a 200 r4 with 3:73 gears. i know im forgeting somthing but what do you guys think. i was thinking maybe a 14.20 or soo maybe faster. cuz my car is pretty quick i think

yeah, I'd say 14.20 too

That's what I was thinking. I'm wanting to get it in the 13s. I'm goin to start an engine build before to long and hope it helps

87montecarlomrc said:
That's what I was thinking. I'm wanting to get it in the 13s. I'm goin to start an engine build before to long and hope it helps
is your motor stock?
a cam, intake, and aftermarket carb will go a long way.
and some aftermarket heads might put you in the 400+ range.
... that's without touching the bottom end.

but if you're on a budget, just pull off the intake, throw in a meaner cam, new dual plane intake, and 700 - 750cfm carb, and you'll be into 320 - 330 hp.

if you're investing in heads, I would build the whole motor. The L98 heads are good for compression, terrible for flow. Porting is a waste of $$$ cuz for that money there are much better aftermarket heads available now.

I won't get into what you should do, cuz it all depends on what you want out of your car?
- Mild strip/heavy street
- Heavy strip/rare street
- all our strip
- cruiser
etc...

I like my setup because it gives me a good balance of both worlds, but favouring on strip use. I can pick up some groceries, drive to work everyday, and then tear around on the strip with comfort.
... the bummer is the solid cam, which needs to be lashed every couple months. It's a heavy cam for street use and turns HUGE durration, so the motor doesn't pull enough vacuum at idle and the brakes fade if I sit at a light too long. And the 3000rpm stall is a bit of a pig. For as much daily I do, it would be nicer to have a milder cam...

My setup is now old technology. The aftermarket industry for "mild" SBC motors has exploded in the last few years. Go see what's out there...
Decide where you wanna go, and then start asking other guys what kinda setup they have. Then HOMEWORK HOMEWORK HOMEWORK :wink:

Yea my motor is mostly stock. I have an intake and carb but I don't have a cam yet and the only reason for that is because I don't think i can change the cam with the motor still in the car it will be a tight fit,and I don't know what size of cam would be best for my l98 heads either. I'll have to do some research on it

My car is my daily driver so I can't build a monster of a motor really but I would like to be able to take it to the drags and run in the 13s at least but I'm thinking I'm just goin to build another motor and do it that way and take my time on it as I go. I've never built one by myself yet but I've put one together with stock parts so I'm going to need alot of help from everyone hahaha. I'm looking for a short block now so when I find one I'll tell everyone what kind and what year it is

I think you would be lucky to get better than a 15 second ET with your pretty much stock SBC

You can easily build an engine to give you 300hp+ to the rear wheels and still have excellent street dependability. If you were to add a cam and a good set of heads and get like a 2200 stall converter, with your 3.73 rear gear that should get you into the 13's (as long as you have good rubber)

When I first got my car it had a late 80's iroc motor in it. GM aluminum intake, q-jet, 700r4 3.73 posi and not a whole lot else. It ran good, but not what anyone would consider a high powered motor. I ran a 14.45. It was all the gearing, I hookep up off the line. with your set up you're probably in the same ballpark maybe a little quicker.

yea thats what i figured i was around but i new it couldnt hurt to get another opinion. thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor