what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckracer305

Greasemonkey
Jun 28, 2005
new milford,ct
alright im just wonndering what some of you think i should do. i have a 84 gp t top that was originally bought for my girlfriend, but when my cutlass started goin down hill i was gonna put it on the road for me, but closer inspection after purchase revealed a large mistake on what i had bough and paid for. this was 2 years ago or so. my brother and i have kept it around in hopes to save it, gathered some parts but it doesnt seem worth it, or very feasable for me as i have a family now, and all that good stuff. the frame was rotted front to back not just in the rear like i thought, got another frame for it. pulled the body off, and the doors are shot, trunk is shot, fenders are shot, t top car so theres large holes right abve the door hinges on thea pillers, the upholstery is pretty much shot. my brothers got skills with welding he works doin the stuff everyday, but id rather see him doin work on his elco. what got thinking maybe it aint worth it, is ive found other cars in better shpe goin for less than what i paid for this thing, 1800, and i feel ited be better to just find another one to use the bueatiful running 326 in. i could use the console and column in my car when i go to a manual trans in the monte. probably could sell the the t tops and the interior trim that is good, header panel, etc, and get some money back. the suspension pieces would go into the monte along with the posi rear regeared. also thought about using the dash but thats a toss up cause the my monte dash is already mint, but so is the other one, i just love the pontic dash though. theres other parts like manul windows and locks and such i wouldnt mind either off it. just want some feedback, i hate sending cars to the crusher, it hurts me to know i couldnt save it, its not the money its just i hate seeing vehicles like this be put to rest. this one i dont think i have much choice though.

^--- Yup yup, what he said. Strip off anything salvageable ( heater, trim, engine parts, etc) scrap the car and save up for another.

if your not up to doing that big of a project just take off the good parts and dump it, youll be kicking yourself for not starting with something nicer

Cut your losses and part it out.

Keep what you want for your other cars, sell the rest, and junk the car.

I've sent 3 G-bodies to the junkyard myself. You can't save 'em all...

thank you. cause truth is i dont think this one is even realistic to save, i made a poor decision in buying it really, but im still young and you live and you learn, well now i feel alittle better about leaning my decision towards that. well now i can think about about alot more things to do with my monte cause i wont have the dead weight of this grand prix holding me back. thanks you guys, i just hate given up on things, but if even g body purists are sayin let it go, i think its time to let it go.

I agree with everyone... salvage what you can, and you never really kill the car...

besides, ever hear the term "you can't polish a turd"? :wink:

1evilregal said:
I agree with everyone... salvage what you can, and you never really kill the car...

besides, ever hear the term "you can't polish a turd"? :wink:

you cant polish a turd, haha. you know how many times my fathers has tried to sink that into my skull. im 21 ive had somthin 15 cars haha, only bout half were really ever on the road, everything from g bodies to a geo tracker, ford and dodge pickups, i was gonna make em all good, most of em minus the elky, a cutlass ciera, and one of the fords,and my current monte were complete junk. i have come to realization, you cant polish a turd finally, quality over quantity is better, the only thing i need to learn now is if it aint broke fix it , that will take awhile im sure.

the only thing i need to learn now is if it aint broke fix it

HEHEHE that's a funny typo. Kind of like the engineer's phrase "If it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

I get real attached to my cars, guns, rc stuff so I would hang onto all the good parts. But you seem to have reached a point where you should dump and run, especially if the rot is getting into the body supports and framing. Unless you have somewhere to keep it (maybe to experiment, blow up...) stop trying to put a silk hat on the pig and pick it apart and dump it.

I would part it out until only rusted scrap remains then dump it. If it was mine, I would store the usable remains in my 2nd garage "just in case" selling it off as I can. I hate seeing good parts go to the crusher.

D

wow major typo haha. meant if it aint broke dont fix it. typically i go by if it aint broke fix it till it is. bein a grand prix its got the the suspension got the fender braces and what not and thats what im after mainly, and few other things, that i will use. as far as rot goes structure wise, original frame gone, a pillars bad, body mount areas mostly shot, floors gone, t top structure not bad, rockers bad, etc. it looks like it was parked to about half way up the doors in salt water for a couple years. a little history on the car from what i know, the guy that i bought it off of, bought it from the nutmeg pontiac oakland club like head guy i think, guess he had quite the collection. i belive it had 400 or a 455 in it, and the guys buddy who bought it from snagged the the motor for a tempest/gto clone, thats where the 326 came from, and why the car has th400?? or bop equivelnt from the 455. the car was actually remarkebly well put together both times, just not all there anymore. the guys buddy who took the engine, and dropped the 326 in, actually offered me another one, that he bought from the same pntiac guy, once again for the engine. he told me if i wanted it leave a note inside the car, cause if i didnt he was putting the forks through it putting it on a truck and hauling it away, i tried like hell to get the money, and got it, left the note never heard from him, car had mint frame, body, and interior, with a gn rear. so yeah those are the kind of people im dealing with around here and why its very hard for me to give a car up cause there aint none around here. a small handfull ss montes, a cutlass or 2, maybe a regal or 2, next to no grand prixs, an elky or 3, a few malibus, next no g bodys really, ive seen 2 other 87-88 ls montes in town and i think they were just passing through. im just thats what burns me up and makes letting go of em difficult cause man there aint none. sorry for they length and runnin on and on, but it sucks haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor