Wheels and tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutloosecutlass81

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2013
I have a 81 cutlass supreme when I first bought the it had 275/60/15 tires on the back I wanna know what's the widest tire I can go with Idc if it sticks a inch or inch and a half past the wheel well but just no to much and need a idea with what backs pacing to go with on rims right now I have 255/60/15 on the rear with a 15x8 rim and 3.75 back spacing all the help I can get will help just don't want to tub the car

If you are looking at more traction then I would probably go with a 275/60R15 drag radial, I prefer Mickey Thompsons and beyond that any larger sizes with good fitment really require a frame notch and rim with more backspace.
In my opinion I don't think tires sticking out of the wheelwell at all is a good look plus you can end up having wheel lip to tire issues if your car launches hard and even more so on a Cutlass because of their more squared off shaped wheelwell.
With my frame notch and a 15 x 9.5 rim with 5.75" of backspace I am running 295/55R15 M/T drag radials and I have no rubbing issues or do they stick out.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 388
Yeah I know I never like tires sticking out of the wheel well that's why I figured a inch or inch and a half wouldn't look so bad but yeah I might just do the 275's I mean they looked pretty good on it before but the tires where dry rotted and rims were bent I'm surprised it made it all the way plus a few burnouts haha but thanks

You can fit 295/50/15 on an 8 inch rim if you have a 4 inch or less backspace. 275/60's are a bit too tall for me, but that would be my second choice if looking for wide tires. Here is a pic of mine when I had the 295/50/15 tires on15x8's, they did not stick out in the least bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 369
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor