When is it time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
OK so here in lies the battle that is in me..... my 79 Monte has well under 100K miles.... the engine itself.... could use some TLC, the car was given to me and for the most part the engine and engine bay are the roughest looking part of the car... very obvious that the stock V6 needs a good clean up as well as some gasket replacement and a few new parts.. here is my battle.... i have no intention of ever running this car... the great state of Va has given me a tag from my younger days and imports that well has made me realize that I dont want to go to jail for a year just to go fast... that and the fact that as I look at this car more and more i would rather go low and slow... back to my roots of Southern Cal... so at what point do I give up on the engine and swap for something else, and why.. I mean does the stock engine not get good gas mileage??? what about a complete rebuild on it, would it get better gas then??? i see most people writing about swapping to a 350 or bigger... the reason is never made obvious, but i just want a car that runs and looks good... does a 350 give me better gas mileage considering the weight of the car??? drop me some advice or opinions, I mean there it is laid out.. and if my idea of clean up.. to rebuild is not bad considering my intentions.. would anyone recomend a particular place of business in the Hampton Roads area of Va??? 8) 8) 8)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
People swap in a 350 or something else because they want more power, why else? The V6 can hardly get out of its own way. In fact, it's so under powered, that in most cases, they do get less fuel economy than a V8 car. If it's running right, you should be able to get 17-22 mpg out of your V6. That's all I ever got out of mine. But then my 267 V8 got 18-21 mpg, and was at least able to merge onto the highway. If you don't mind putt-ing around, then there's nothing wrong with the V6...

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
EFI or even Vortec 4.3 from an S-10 might be an option . . . Just a random thought.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
Blake442 said:
People swap in a 350 or something else because they want more power, why else? The V6 can hardly get out of its own way. In fact, it's so under powered, that in most cases, they do get less fuel economy than a V8 car. If it's running right, you should be able to get 17-22 mpg out of your V6. That's all I ever got out of mine. But then my 267 V8 got 18-21 mpg, and was at least able to merge onto the highway. If you don't mind putt-ing around, then there's nothing wrong with the V6...
Numbers is what I am talking about.... so I see you said with a 267 V8 you were able to manage... would you reccomend a 305 at a minimum upgrade, or is the difference between the what I would call a standard 350 and the 305 not noticeable enough to even bother with the 305? I do apreciate your input... thanks.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
WCN8TIVE said:
Blake442 said:
Numbers is what I am talking about.... so I see you said with a 267 V8 you were able to manage... would you reccomend a 305 at a minimum upgrade, or is the difference between the what I would call a standard 350 and the 305 not noticeable enough to even bother with the 305? I do apreciate your input... thanks.

IMHO (and I am not alone) but swapping a V-6 for a 305 is wasted effort for very minimal gains. I'd consider upgrades to the V-6 before a 305 swap. If you are putting in a SBC, find a 350 .... I love the sugestion of a 4.3L W motor. EFI would be great for the torque curve and the mileage. A Friend of mine and I talk constantly "what-if" intercooler turbo 4.3L ala Typhoon in a pedestrian looking Monte LS ... would sure make some GN owners nervous.

Attachments

• center pillar.JPG
    center pillar.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor