Where can i get some weatherstripping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Hi! I need all of the weatherstripping and related seals for my 78 Malibu coupe.
And is there anything I need before I get the back window and windshield installed? Since the car was stripped for primer and is missing all seals and trim.
TIA

JimmyCamino

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2020
Alexandria, VA
I'd check soffseal and steele for weatherstripping products. Then favorite aftermarket suppliers for best pricing. I'm no expert on installing glass, but in addition to expecting whoever is doing the installation to know what they need, I remember seeing discussions on this site about what blocks, spacers, etc are needed.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Depends what's in the kit. Shoot Mike an email and ask him what the differences are.

Soffseal is fairly decent for aftermarket, but can be a bit unforgiving for door seal ends and allowing the door to shut easily. At least on Oldsmobiles. And I heard montes are about the same.

If you want to spend a bit of $$, Steele has some really awesome reproduction seals for the door and roof rails and the trunk seal. At least from the reviews of others I've seen. They're pricey, but they sure look close enough to GM stuff that I've seen. I cannot verify fit, etc., as I have never personally owned any. I use GM stuff where all possible. I gave SoffSeal a chance on my 84 H/O but I couldn't close the doors and I got tired of "fixing" the seal ends. So I put GM seals on the doors. Problem solved. This was about 20 years ago, so if SoffSeal got better at it since then, then fine. I've read where they still seem to be about the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have found NOTHING beats OEM GM seals if they're not dried out and cracked. But obviously, far and few between. For the trunk, you can buy a new GM part for just a tad more than the Steele part. Search 20111565, 20469449, 20490800.

People can restore as they wish and it's their budget, but I can tell you this, when it comes to weatherstripping, you really do get what you pay for.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
Depends what's in the kit. Shoot Mike an email and ask him what the differences are.

Soffseal is fairly decent for aftermarket, but can be a bit unforgiving for door seal ends and allowing the door to shut easily. At least on Oldsmobiles. And I heard montes are about the same.

If you want to spend a bit of $$, Steele has some really awesome reproduction seals for the door and roof rails and the trunk seal. At least from the reviews of others I've seen. They're pricey, but they sure look close enough to GM stuff that I've seen. I cannot verify fit, etc., as I have never personally owned any. I use GM stuff where all possible. I gave SoffSeal a chance on my 84 H/O but I couldn't close the doors and I got tired of "fixing" the seal ends. So I put GM seals on the doors. Problem solved. This was about 20 years ago, so if SoffSeal got better at it since then, then fine. I've read where they still seem to be about the same. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have found NOTHING beats OEM GM seals if they're not dried out and cracked. But obviously, far and few between. For the trunk, you can buy a new GM part for just a tad more than the Steele part. Search 20111565, 20469449, 20490800.

People can restore as they wish and it's their budget, but I can tell you this, when it comes to weatherstripping, you really do get what you pay for.
Are the GM seals still available?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Only on the secondary market, like ebay and car swap meets. Got to dig for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor