which engine transmission combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2014
Goodyear, AZ 85338
I am looking for opinions. Currently, my daily driver is my 79 el camino with a tired 350 (rear main seal leak) and a th250 that's puking fluid. It has AC, cruise, PS etc. I do not want to rebuild my 350 nor the weak sister th250. With that in mind and on a strict budget (given) what would you do? I understand there are many combos and I need help choosing. I have considered a rebuilt 350 (not sure what horse power at least burn rubber minimum) and no idea which transmission. I have also considered a 383 and of course a 454. My intentions are to only do this once and I am not basing my decision solely on $$$$. It must run on pump gas.

If I go with a 350 or 383 all my brackets will transfer over. Not sure on the 454. What changes would have to be made to accommodate your proposal? springs, suspension, drive shaft, etc.

If anyone is in the Phoenix area, what shop would you recommend? Would you consider helping me in exchange for my help on your car? Let me know if you have any questions or need some additional info.

Thanking you in advance!

Why don't you want to rebuild your own 350?. If it's just tired a rebuild of a known basically sound core will yield surprising results, and you can fit a cam, pistons, etc to give good reliable power on pump gas. Plenty of good sbc builders everywhere too.
I'd suggest a th350 transmission for low mileage use, if you want to cruise at highway speeds a 200r4 built to deal with your engines power and torque (and they can be built very strong at a price) with suitable overdrive and lock up converter software should give you lots of smiles per mile.

Roger.

Thanks Roger!
the 350 I have now is not known. It is a Jasper rebuilt engine and I really don't know if it is 105K or 205K miles. In any case, I do not have what it takes to rebuild an engine. I have rebuilt 2 engines in my life, a Plymouth 273 ('65 barracuda) and a 307 (1970 Nova) 40 years ago. I could probably do a long block but that would be the limit for me and it would be a giant effort on my part.

Get your hands on a 1996-2001 vortec long block out of a truck or burb. These casting have very little where in the cylinders and can be rebuild with just a freshening kit. Rings rods mains cam bearings ect. They are roller cam motors and one piece seal blocks, your oil dripping solved. You can do a stroker kit for a standard bore with 9.5 compression with the vortec heads and run on pump gas. Kits on ebay are $800 and free shipping. These are Eagle Kits and are good to 500hp. With the standard bore you will have 377 ci or spend the money and have it bored .030 and do the 383 if you want. OR just freshen the 350 and reuse the hyd roller cam that came with the motor and you will still be making more power then the old one for a lot less money. The last gbody I did one of these 377 motors for went 109 mph at the track. The cam I used was the Comp XR270HR with the dished piston stroker for the pump gas and some vortec heads. I do these motors a lot from just rebuilds to stroker rebuilds. Later this week the same motor will be going into my 81 olds for some bracket racing and street driving??? Trans will be a strong built th350 with a 2200 stall.

Thanks guys. I have researched the vortec heads ( casting #'s 906 and 062 ) are there any other castings I should consider? Any idea on the block casting numbers? I assuming they are 4 bolts?
darbysan, have you had any experience with phoenix motors?

LeoCamino said:
darbysan, have you had any experience with phoenix motors?

No experience- just thought of them because they were close.

FWIW, I went with a GM crate L31 engine. It is 350, Vortec heads, Roller cam, 4 bolt main, one piece RMS. Only issue is you will have to have a special Vortec intake, and no provision for Mechanical Fuel Pump.

If you want to build, I've got an L31 block ( fresh from Machine shop) and most of the roller cam stuff, including LT1 cams. Will make you a good deal on the lot.

The L31 that you got is the replacement for the truck and burbs. Their are other motors that have the vortec heads and are set for a mechanical fuel pump. The stock cam in the L31 does not have a fuel pump lobe because they are all FI. Those intake can be had for little money of ebay or ask around, even new the plane one is only a little over $125. Even a electric fuel pump is very easy to install with nothing but a + and a - and you can hook it up to a live wire when the motor is running. Very simple.

LeoCamino said:
Thanks for the offer but I am not looking to build my own engine. did you use an electric fuel pump?

Yes, I am Running TPI Fuel Injection, so Electric FP is required for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor