Which throttle/trans kickdown bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacfan18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 31, 2009
Need some help, the two I have (stock, and the common Sperctre chrome one from Auotzone/Pepboys) don't work. The throtle cable lines up fine but the trans kickdown cable is too far "in". It's a Gen I Chevy 350 w/ 200-4R Trans, Edelbrock Performer intake, and Carter carb. Wana try to get everything wrapped up by next week and don't want to order the wrong thing! TIA!

-Mike

the kick down bracket is adjustable. 2 screws, thats it. i got the same spectar or whatever its called one.

Tried adjusting it, it's not the adjustable part that's off, it's just the geometry of it.

-Mike
(Orange is throttle cable, pink is for the TV cable...you'd see if it was hooked up it wouldn't be a straight line from the bracket to the point where the cable hooks up)

Basically, the TV cable and throttle cable are right under/above each other on the Spectre bracket. On the carb, the throttle cable lines up fine but the TV cable hookup on the carb is about an inch or so more towards the drivers side fender. Since the two are directly under/above each other on the brakcet it doesn't line up too well when connected and I don't want to drive it like that and mess up my trans 🙁

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of like this?
0430092039.jpg

I had the same problem with my car. Try Edelbrock bracket 8031 that one works good! I tried modifying the stock one but i still couldn't make them line up good.. this is a pic with the 8031 bracket.
0509091736-1.jpg

Awesome pics, thanks. That was the one I was looking at but it was hard to "picture" it...that helps a bunch, I'm going to order it. Looks like we have a very similar setup, down to the same valve covers and hold downs (which are all scratched up too on mine 😛 )

Thanks again, very much appriciated!

-Mike

I thought I was looking at a picture of my engine for a moment. Thanks for the photo. I went to the junk yards and took/bought (yeah right) several different brackets then tried the one I have on my car now..

Did you get the geometry corrector as well? Its the little bracket that bolts on the the carb linkage in the pics. It provides the correct "pull" for the tv cable. I bought mine through Summit for under 25 bucks.

Looks like we have a very similar setup, down to the same valve covers and hold downs (which are all scratched up too on mine 😛 )

LOL yeah they cost me a whole 10 bucks at a garage sale...

LOL yeah they cost me a whole 10 bucks at a garage sale...

Lucky you, I was the idiot who paid $70 for them :-\ The finish on any Spectre chrome product lasts all of like 1 week before it starts to look like crap lol...

You could also pull the cable out the front to where you want it and put zip ties on the cable...I have seen that done and they come in different colors as well...nobody would notice, unless you point it out to them...When I did the 700-r4 swap in my Monte I ordered the Jegs brand geometry corrector and bracket..To my door for something like $50.00 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor