Will a loose valve cover bolt cause the engine to burn oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
My car is smoking a little bit from the engine compartment near the firewall, it looks like bluish white smoke. I have to re tap one of the holes in the head that holds the valve cover on as it is stripped.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Re: Will a loose valve cover bolt cause the engine to burn o

Kinda sounds like you're answering your own question here, but yea. If oil leaks out of the valve cover and gets onto the engine then it can burn off from engine heat.

Nov 4, 2012

307 Regal said:
Kinda sounds like you're answering your own question here, but yea. If oil leaks out of the valve cover and gets onto the engine then it can burn off from engine heat.

I know it kinda sounds like I dumb question but I figured I'd double check. Now I gotta get a damn tap set to retap the threads. :x

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA

I hope just retapping it fixes it for you. Any stripped holes I come across I just put a helicoil in it. Then you have brand new threads and not some boogered up threads that a bolt fits and holds a torque. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor