Will it fit???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
:?: yes, here I am clueless again, as I said before I currently have a prts car at my disposal to help me with my 79 Monte, so here is the question... My 79 Monte has a crack in the windshield.. I have an 84 Regal with a perfect windshield.. can I take the windshields out and put the good one on my 79 Monte.... :? :? :? anyone know, looking at them they look to be the same.. not 100% sure though. thanks for any experience or tips.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
try calling an autoglass place and asking them if they use the same part numbers or something. im not sure exactly, but i think it'd fit.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
Same glass 78 & up all G & A bodies. Only differences are tinted, clear, or with or w/o antenna in the glass. Mouldings for the windshield are the same too, only differences are polished or black.

Not that easy to remove a windshield w/o cracking it. Have you done this before? If not, you really need 2 people and that special cable with the handle at each end. Piano wire works well too just watch your hands. Make a whole in the urethane sealer under the glass and stick the cable through. Then have one person inside and one outside and work the cable back and forth in a sawing motion all the way around the glass. Resist the urge to push on the glass and take the time to work all the way around the glass. It helps to remove the interior trim so the cable doesn't get caught up in it. Avoid those other windshield tools like the angle blades as you'll most likely crack the glass using them, even if you heat them as you go.

WCN8TIVE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 6, 2007
Va Beach, Va
87GP said:
Same glass 78 & up all G & A bodies. Only differences are tinted, clear, or with or w/o antenna in the glass. Mouldings for the windshield are the same too, only differences are polished or black.

Not that easy to remove a windshield w/o cracking it. Have you done this before? If not, you really need 2 people and that special cable with the handle at each end. Piano wire works well too just watch your hands. Make a whole in the urethane sealer under the glass and stick the cable through. Then have one person inside and one outside and work the cable back and forth in a sawing motion all the way around the glass. Resist the urge to push on the glass and take the time to work all the way around the glass. It helps to remove the interior trim so the cable doesn't get caught up in it. Avoid those other windshield tools like the angle blades as you'll most likely crack the glass using them, even if you heat them as you go.
truly apreciate this, have never done this, wasnt really thinking of trying to do it myself, was going to pay to have it done in order to keep original glass, as I have seen aftermarket glass and allot of it looks really flat and not normal... thanks though.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
4 door windshields are different from 2 doors. I tried it, it does not work. The 4 door windshield is too short/narrow to fit. The cars I tried to interchange were a 84 Cutlass 4 door and my 85 Cutlass 2 door. I wound up with a new windshield from a discount glass place and I think I paid $100 for it. I installed it myself and am happy with the results.

arocars

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 1, 2007
Massachusetts
You want to take a 20+ year old windshield and put it in a 28 year old car???? This is not a good idea for a few reasons. 87GP was correct, removing an old windshield is not easily done, chances are excellent that you will likely crack the old windshield while trying to remove it. Assuming you get it out in one piece, what do you have? A 20+ year old windshield, complete with little rock-craters and minute scratches. My advice would be to spend the money and get a brand new windshield.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
/\ Beating a dead horse named "Old Thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor